Got another concussion, not bad but not good

Second one ever, last one was in 2002.  That one was pretty bad.  No recollection of the crash, no memory of riding home.  I thought at the time that is was 1998 and Bill Clinton was still president.  I started to come out of that state about halfway to the hospital.  Back then they told me if I get another one like that I can't ride anymore.

15 years later I'm out and about after work last night and I eat it right before I was going to head home for the day.  Don't remember exactly what happened this time either but I know I got out of shape on the run-up to a fairly sketchy berm to berm jump.  I think I came up short, nose high, and went more or less over the bars.  I do remember sitting down with some double vision, googlie eye kind of stuff going on and knowing I just got another concussion.  Then I think I got back on the bike and hit that jump a few more times and rode home.  Don't remember the ride home or putting the bike away.  My next recollection is about 20 minutes after I got home and I remember feeling unusual and foggy for about two hours afterward.

Did not go to the hospital.  Not a whole lot they can do, just like last time, and I didn't want to spend the money on nothing at all.  I slept well and feel perfectly fine today other than some neck stiffness and a very large contusion on my thigh.

What I'm wondering about is how I should proceed.  I am 30 years old, its been quite a long time since the last one and this one wasn't as severe.  No loss of consciousness that I am aware of and I found my way home just fine, to the new house I just moved into a month ago.  I believe the actual concussion was due to either a whiplash type of event when I came down ugly or an impact between the right side of my head and the ground, as I do notice some tenderness on the top right side of the skull.  Was of course wearing a helmet which looks good externally but I haven't inspected the foam shell inside.

Turbo Dan-thanks for posting your situation, though I am bummed you took such a digger!  I wouldn't mess around with a consussion - we are talking about the health of your brain.  A couple of quick questions:

1. Do you have ringing in your ears?

2. Does it hurt to be in the sun or bright light?

3. Do you have a low level headache?

4. How is your appetite?  

Please post back here when you get a quick moment.  

-Coach Robb

thumpertalk motoe signature.gif

Edited by Coach Robb

1 hour ago, Coach Robb said:

Turbo Dan-thanks for posting your situation, though I am bummed you took such a digger!  I wouldn't mess around with a consussion - we are talking about the health of your brain.  A couple of quick questions:

1. Do you have ringing in your ears?

2. Does it hurt to be in the sun or bright light?

3. Do you have a low level headache?

4. How is your appetite?  

Please post back here when you get a quick moment.  

-Coach Robb

thumpertalk motoe signature.gif

No ringing in the ears.  No light sensitivity.  Very slight headache at times, possibly due to neck strain.  Stiff neck on the left side, slight pain on the same side.  Appetite has been normal.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry to hear about your concussion, I am 60 and have had 3 that I considered significant - memory loss . I now wonder about my bouts with Vertigo, my memory, l am just not as sharp as I used to be.
Anyway, take care of your noggin and hope you have a complete recovery.

Its been a week and I'm feeling about 95%.  The new helmet will be here tomorrow and I will get back out there this weekend.  I'm thinking nice and easy, I'll stay off the track for another week or so before I get back after the booters.

I picked up a nice florescent orange/yellow HJC.  Next time I get the brain smacked it should be easy to spot me from the air when I'm laying around having a nap in the desert.

I'm a fan of helmets with the "mips" feature, not sure if the hjc has it.

Fox, tld, and fly helmets come with it and the fly is pretty cheap if you don't want to spend a ton of money. 

I have hit hard enough to snap the visor and haven't had a concussion while wearing mips helmets. I think it works fwiw.

Edited by Casing-daily

I crashed once pretty decently and have a 6d. My head did hit pretty hard but I got up quickly and thought to myself "oh no, my ribs! that's gonna sting for awhile". No head issues. It was a pretty hard hit to the head.

Get a 6d or similar. I think Bell makes one that has similar technology? I tell all my all my friends. Get one (or similar) . . . before the knee braces or fancy Rekluse, it's totally worth it.

• Like 1