Hello guys, 

I've got a 2002 XR 650 R and the previous owner thought it was a good idea to just cut off the tip, leaving me without a spark arrestor and with a bike that makes a LOT of noise. I don't like it and searched throughly around the web for someone that sold it for a decent price. However, I find mufflers for sale but I just need the spark arrestor. Do you guys know anyone around here or a place online where I can buy a spark arrestor for a decent price? There are pics of the current state of the exhaust.

dfe9Mpk.jpg

veigPO7.jpg

1fpj8SJ.jpg

It looks like he just removed the inner strangulation baffle. That's just part of the usual uncorking ritual. The spark arrester is still in there. It's a centrifugal spark arrestor , not a screen type. It looks like a turbine blade.

12 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

It looks like he just removed the inner strangulation baffle. That's just part of the usual uncorking ritual. The spark arrester is still in there. It's a centrifugal spark arrestor , not a screen type. It looks like a turbine blade.

If you look closely in the second picture you can actually see the end of the exhaust, making me think that there isn't any spark arrestor. Are you sure?

Do you think this is a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XR-650R-muffler-HM-NBM-A1-/252852837211?hash=item3adf341b5b:g:jSkAAOSw5cNYb9Ee&vxp=mtr

.23 stainless wire mesh. thats what usda requires for arresting those sparks. fold over the end of the muffler, hose clamp. mesh on ebay under 10 bucks.

1 minute ago, garthr said:

.23 stainless wire mesh. thats what usda requires for arresting those sparks. fold over the end of the muffler, hose clamp. mesh on ebay under 10 bucks.

And do I need to put some fiber in there? Do you think the mesh will reduce the noise?

If it were me, I'd have a restricter washer welded in that hole. size it down to approx 1" . that should quiet it down, but you may have to rejet. Just tack two tiny BB welds, to try it before running a bead all the way around. Also a 90degree turn down fitting will direct sound down.

• Like 1