Ok so I am currently looking to get into the dual sport scene. I am an avid street rider (2017 fz-10) and an avid trail rider (2008 wr250f) but I want to get rid of my dirt bike and get an enduro, maybe the ktm690r. I'm looking for a bike light enough to through around in the dirt and pull some wheelies and hit the whoops hard but that I can just take from the the house in Colorado to the trails in like Oklahoma, maybe do a little camping off the bike and mountain adventuring. Basically a smaller lighter klr. Yes I know my ass will get sore but that's the price you pay to get muddy. Does anybody know if this would be a good bike for that or should I look at something else?

wr250r? should feel about the same as the 250f....just....less agro. (or plate the f)

I already plated the f I just want to be able to have more weight and still be capable for highway for a long time. The f is more of an around town bike not a weekend let's go get I. Trouble bike and the r just doesn't have the balls I want

On 4/27/2017 at 11:17 AM, manningtanner said:

Ok so I am currently looking to get into the dual sport scene. I am an avid street rider (2017 fz-10) and an avid trail rider (2008 wr250f) but I want to get rid of my dirt bike and get an enduro, maybe the ktm690r. I'm looking for a bike light enough to through around in the dirt and pull some wheelies and hit the whoops hard but that I can just take from the the house in Colorado to the trails in like Oklahoma, maybe do a little camping off the bike and mountain adventuring. Basically a smaller lighter klr. Yes I know my ass will get sore but that's the price you pay to get muddy. Does anybody know if this would be a good bike for that or should I look at something else?

I've had 2 KLRs and a WR450 among other bikes. 

I currently own a 2014 KTM690R and would have no issue with the 300-400 miles (?) to OK and back. I'd watch the rear tire, the factory MT21 doesn't last long. 

I've had 2 KLRs and a WR450 among other bikes. 
I currently own a 2014 KTM690R and would have no issue with the 300-400 miles (?) to OK and back. I'd watch the rear tire, the factory MT21 doesn't last long. 

Awesome. Yea I'm thinking 400+- will be the most I'll ride on it any more I'll probably trailer it. Would you says it's capable of light track play? Like whoops and small table tops?

1 hour ago, manningtanner said:

Awesome. Yea I'm thinking 400+- will be the most I'll ride on it any more I'll probably trailer it. Would you says it's capable of light track play? Like whoops and small table tops?

I'm guessing no, but I haven't been on a track in 40 years. It handles the cinder whoops around here, but they're softer(?) and not the same thing.

22 hours ago, manningtanner said:

Would you says it's capable of light track play? Like whoops and small table tops?

In general terms dual sports are not meant for anything like that ... they are heavy and the suspension is designed for pavement and gravel roads. Sounds like you should be plating a 450 or maybe consider a drz400.

1 hour ago, Kompact said:

In general terms dual sports are not meant for anything like that ... they are heavy and the suspension is designed for pavement and gravel roads. Sounds like you should be plating a 450 or maybe consider a drz400.

I think the DRZ is close to as heavy as a 690 and neither the 450's nor the DRZ would be much fun all day on the slab.

I think if you ditched the stock seat for a comfortable saddle and had the right bars you could spend a comfortable day on the pavement.