2017 Honda CRF450R Stalling in tight turns and hard starting

I've a new 2017 CRF450R.  2 hours on it. broke it in properly. Now Its taking 4-5 kicks to start typically, from day one, hot or cold.  

The bigger issue though is I've had troubling with it stalling on tight turns on the MX track where I brake hard then get back on the gas. Or on a wall jump where again brake hard then get back on the gas and it stalls down the back side of the jump.

ANy fixes? Is it a mapping issue? Ive used the standard and aggressive maps smae trouble both maps. I turned the idle up 2 clicks at a time , now at six clicks faster than stock.  Same issue.

I'm an experienced rider and doing the same technique as I have with numerous other bikes, using the clutch the same etc as always including my previous bike 2016 YZ250F .  Not experienced this before.

thanks

joe

I got one with 4 hours on it, heard of ppl stalking them or hard start but have not had that issue mine starts 2 kicks every time and yet to stall it running stock map, but will be sending it off to Tokyo, I know my clutch was a little funky on cable slack

• Like 1

Yup, these bikes do not like to lug off idle.  A little bit of clutch feathering and keeping the rpm's above idle and I don't have an issue, but try to lug it close to idle and it will stall.  I've got another single track bike, so I'm not too concerned over it, and this will be a snow bike in the fall which will not be lugged anyway.  1/3-full throttle/rpm and it's butter smooth, but definitely not off idle.

• Like 1

I have the rx model and ride mostly single track. I was having a hard time with it flaming out coming out of corners and stalling in slow stuff. I bought the honda software and retarded the timing across the lower rpm ranges. Completely fixed that issue. It doesn't lug as low as my 02 450r, but low enough that stalling isn't an issue anymore. Helped but didn't eliminate the low speed/low throttle jerkiness. Also, seems to start quicker.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the feedback everyone.  I think it's been solved.

I have turned the idle up even more, about 10 total clicks out from where they had it set stock. Moved my clutch perch in towards the center of the bike, so that I'm further out towards the end of the lever when using the clutch,  to more fully engage it. This seems to matter especially when braking hard coming in to a tighter corner.

I also have just been more mindful of keeping the rpms up when braking hard and with clutch fully engaged,  giving a couple blips of the throttle, then being smooth on releasing the lever.  Right now I'm being very deliberate about that but soon it will become a habit.

Since the post I have Only stalled once and it was when I had  made the mistake of dragging the rear brake in a tight turn without the clutch fully engaged.  Its starting better also now. Usually 2-3 kicks so that may have also been a low idle issue and break in. 

Bottom line is every bike is a little different and I had to adjust to what this bike likes over my 16 Yamaha.  I think idle was set far too low stock and I was not fully engaging the clutch where the lever was set previously.  It's all good now and I love the aggressive map for moto. Probably not for trails but I'm mostly a MX guy.

thanks again, joe

Edited by Jracer20