Clutch engagement point

My 2017 S - the clutch engages about 1cm off the grip making it really difficult to slip the clutch, i.e., I can't pull the clutch in and keep fingers on the grip behind the lever because the clutch won't completely disengage. I've done some reading around for fixes on this and the only solution I have found so far is to replace the clutch arm on the engine with the shorter clutch arm found on the DR650. I can't help wondering on that fix if it would be possible to inadvertently spin the clutch release camshaft too far and damage the mechanism by doing so. Those posts were a bit dated (2008, 2009) so I am wondering if anyone has come up with another fix in the mean time. Worth noting perhaps; I am using a RSM medium lever.

Edit: I just went to a nearby dealer to check out the price on getting an arm but in speaking to service advisor I found out this mod doesn't work. I looked at an arm on DR on the showroom floor and there is, visually at least, no difference between the arm on a DR and a DRZ. He told me two customers had tried this mod this spring and both reported that there was no discernible difference in the actuation or feel of the clutch. Perhaps this used to work when there was a difference in length between the DR arm and the DRZ arm.

IMG_6608.jpg

Edited by Frankfurter

15 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Get an adjustable lever (Zeta, ASV...)

I just got the RSM! Whaaaa!

The RSM lever looks great.  It it possible to change the cable housing length at the lever end using the threaded adjuster?   Is the threaded adjuster on the original lever different and could it be substituted for more range?   If not changing the clutch arm position by one spline may be your next option. 

Edited by CaptCapsize

8 minutes ago, CaptCapsize said:

The RSM lever looks great.  It it possible to change the cable housing length at the lever end using the threaded adjuster?   Is the threaded adjuster on the original lever different and could it be substituted for more range?   If not changing the clutch arm position by one spline may be your next option. 

Maybe this?

Screenshot_1.png

In looking at the pic of the motor when viewed head on from the left side of the drz the clutch arm should be at about the 3:30 O'clock position.You need to reindex the clutch arm clockwise a tooth or two and snug it up then try the hand lever at the perch and adjust the free play to get about a nickels worth at the perch for proper action.

• Like 1