I decided to post to the web my thoughts of my new 2016 CRF450R, mainly to give a basic review for comparing different bikes from a basic weekend warriors (me) perspective. Because most people I know aren't buying a brand new 450 every year.

Background- before this bike I was on a 2008 CRF250R mostly on moto tracks and occasionally I'll rip on a 1994 CR125R.  Some basic points I want the internet to know are all of the above bikes are great weapons for training for a entry or even intermediate level local MX rider. 

The CR125R is still a very powerful bike when ridden properly, which is all top, make that thing SING and it will GO.  You work a little harder, but it's really not slow. My only other major point here is that the CR125R is 'softer' than new bikes.  So it's not very forgiving if you come up short etc, but for the woods, trails what have you it feels like a Cadillac.

The 2008 CRF250R was a good moto bike.  That bike too liked the top a lot, although it had some mid.  Suspension was revalved by Factory Connection for moto and felt good.  

The 2016 CRF450R has a great suspension for moto, feels better than the 08 250R that was revalved.  This is important, something to remember is that all the bikes have improved a lot in the past ten years, and the STOCK SUSPENSION, feels awesome to me. So just because the suspension gets shot down in reviews, doesn't mean its worse than 2001 CR.  Also this bike feels just as light as the 08 CRF250R.  The ENGINE has the best power delivery of any performance machine I have ever owned, or ridden.  Hands. Down.  

I bought the CRF450R because my 250 was wore it, and actually on a dollar per hour of ride time basis, the NEW 450R made a lot of financial sense, being I'll get a lot of 'pain free' hours out of it, and I was able to pick it up for 6900 hundred - 'year old model'.  Whereas I'de have about 3-4k into rebuilding an older bike into tip top shape.  

Details, 33 psi in the forks couple clicks harder on all rebound and compression.  I'm 175# with gear.  Aggressive setting on engine mode, mild had what I felt like was a long delay on throttle response.

Good bike.  End Review.

flat track.jpg

18192645_311739129245394_1727490479925821532_o.jpg

merle.jpg

road kill.jpg

Edited by jay373
Details
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, jay373 said:

The 2008 CRF250R was a good moto bike.  That bike too liked the top a lot, although it had some mid.  Suspension was revalved by Factory Connection for moto and felt good.  

17 hours ago, jay373 said:

Background- before this bike I was on a 2008 CRF250R mostly on moto tracks and occasionally I'll rip on a 1994 CR125R.  Some basic points I want the internet to know are all of the above bikes are great weapons for training for a entry or even intermediate level local MX rider. 

I appreciate your vigilance, but I said CRF.  Here's some pics.

WP_20160611_19_03_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20160629_15_34_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20160701_18_50_35_Pro.jpg

She has her own tub.

Edited by jay373

Renter, who would drain the forks in the tub pure BS. Use a 5 gal bucket in front room by the tv.!

^^^ I did drain most of it in a bucket, the bucket just kept sliding on the floor when I let them stand for the last few ounces. I have a better system now.