525 RFS cam chain tool.

Hi, I'm about to purchase an 05 525 exc. It will need a top end soonish and to do this you have to break the cam chain. KTM sell a tool for it, it's not cheap. What are the cheaper options for this? Also needs to be able to reinstall the pins. Cheers

I used the motion pro for years. Harbor freight has a copy.

If you can get the plate on without binding the pins, and swedge each pin .004 or .005" (about .1016mm)  they work okay. The plate is a press on fit, pin swedging adds to security. Some riders will put a steel dolly on the inside and bang away with a hammer on the chain and sprocket. The KTM tool works so well, you cannot see the replaced master link.

Universal chain tools do the job if careful. Pack the chain galley with clean rags before you start this project as the link can be lost in the motor.

Edited by Burnrider
  • Like 2

Bicycle chain breaker.  Cheap and available at a bicycle shop.

• Like 1

I've used the chain tool available at cycle gear...89.00 usually on sale for 39.00.

After having a bit of an extended search I've found one. Thanks for all your help

11 hours ago, Cole Way said:

After having a bit of an extended search I've found one. Thanks for all your help

Which one did you settle on?

Which one did you settle on?

This is from a new zealand site that sells semi cheap generic parts and tools. It says it does everything I need it to do, but how well is the question. It's cheap enough thoughScreenshot_2017-05-07-09-11-35.png

yea, i've used a bicycle chain breaker for years.... cheap, works. 

Just remember to shove a rag around the cam chain for when the link/pin drops off the chain... :banghead:

On 10/05/2017 at 9:39 AM, SnowMule said:

yea, i've used a bicycle chain breaker for years.... cheap, works. 

Just remember to shove a rag around the cam chain for when the link/pin drops off the chain... :banghead:

Which chain breaker - need one for my 450 rfs

If you have a cycle gear near you they sell a chain breaker, rivet kit.  Usually 40 bucks.