Oil Pump Priming + Oil Line From Frame to Valve Cover

I'm doing some maintenance on my XR650L (a 2002 w ~9k miles). I need to replace some gaskets (Valve cover and Right Side Cover).

I've drained the bike of oil but never removed the covers. My understanding is the pump only needs to be re-primed if the pump itself is drained? Is this correct?

It seems like I'm not getting any oil from tube running from the frame near the dipstick to the valve cover but I do have small leaks near the front of the valve cover near the spark plug (hence why I'm replacing it). Is this a feed line or some kind of vent line? Seeing it dry got me suuuper worried I've been running my engine super dry :|.

Thanks!

That's a vent hose for the oil tank. You shouldn't need to prime the pump unless  you've disassembled the pump or the oil lines at the pump.

49 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

That's a vent hose for the oil tank. You shouldn't need to prime the pump unless  you've disassembled the pump or the oil lines at the pump.

Awesome. That's a relief to hear!

Re: Oil Lines - I take it replacing the right side cover gasket will cause the pump to drain as I'll have to disconnect the metal oil line? If so does anyone have any good guides for priming the pump, done a bit of searching but lots of basic gerry rigged solutions vs some sort of standardized procedures per manufacturer.

Removing the oil line to the head won't interfere with anything as long as you put it back on.  :smirk:  To prime the pump though , you pull the hose from the top of the rocker box and blow air into the oil tank. All you have to do to check is leave the bottom of oil line loose at the clutch cover and turn over the motor with the kill switch off. If oil comes out , you're ready to go. I turn mine over like this for a minute , without loosening the oil line , to get oil thru the motor after oil changes. That and all of the oil won't fit in the tank at once if you don't.

• Like 1

What happened to packing the pump with grease? Was that just my ghetto ass? Done it to numerous bikes.
If I didn't go in that far, I just decomp and killswitch engaged rotate motor numerous times.
And check the line coming out the pump. Oil? Yes, you're good. Dry? Kick again.

Packing it with grease is the appropriate method. Every once in awhile there's a still a problem.

One important warning- it is extremely easy to give the oil line a small twist, and oil then won't flow from tank to the sump.

Loosening the banjo bolt at the head is an excellent but messy way to confirm oil flow.

A crude method can be to run the bike, get the oil warm, park it, cool off the oil line to the head, then start the bike and confirm the line warms up right away.

• Like 1