2004 rm 250 good woods bike?

I bought a 2004 rm 250 that had a bad motor. I had the motor completely rebuilt and was just going to flip but found it to have a hole in the case from loosing the chain I a sume. It's patched up and doesn't leak at all. I sold my 2000 kx that I had set up for the woods. So I don't feel like I should try and sell the bike until I can replace the cases. If I set this up for the woods will I like it as much as my kx or should I just dump the rm and buy a yz450fx like I had planned to.20170427_150943.jpg20170423_172950.jpg20170422_150724.jpg

I love my rm for woods. I just swap my platinum pipe with the gnarly when I go to trails. So much easier taking the rm on steep rocky or really tight sections compared to my brothers crf450.

I love my rm for woods. I just swap my platinum pipe with the gnarly when I go to trails. So much easier taking the rm on steep rocky or really tight sections compared to my brothers crf450.

How about gearing? I ran 13-49 on my kx and 1st was still a little tall but I made it work.

It really depends on you, how you ride and where you ride.  "Woods" riding can vary quiet a bit across the country plus you didn't fill in what state your in so it's a complete guess for anyone right now.  But "yes" an RM250 can be turned into an excellent woods bike plus it'll be about 30 to 40 pounds lighter than a YZ450x.  Although there are other things to consider, like how far you like to ride (EFI 4 strokes get better MPG).  Elevation would favor the bigger bore, plus the wider torque curve of the 4t does make them easier to ride.

Oregon coast range, this was my last set up so I know what I need I just haven't rode the bike other than up and down in front of my house. Will I like the motor as much as my kx? or is it going to be like a 02 cr that only has a screaming top end and no bottom. 20170409_181124.jpg

I sold my 450fx and bought a yz250x 2t, the 450fx is an absolute beast with mx like power. It can be toned down with the gytr tuner but the power along with the 263 lbs wet would wear me out quickly in a harescramble. It is a far cry from that Kawi, I ride in the northeast with lots of wet rocks and roots, if your trails are more wide open you might really like it. I would think the rm with the tight turning chassis would shine in the woods if you could get some power on the low end (I hear they are a top end motor) I have a 2005 rm125 that I ride in the woods and I love it.

The rm motor is identical to the yz just revs a touch faster. They have very light flywheels. Power everywhere.

Well I think it's time to build. I will just make rideable for the summer and then go to work. Anyone want to buy a rg3 upper triple clamp? It won't work with my scotts1

That would make a great woods bike.  Great bike very similarto yz250 but with good old Suzuki handling. Go see a local welding shop I bet they could fix tgat. Invest in a case saved maybe :thumbsup: but really that's a good bike id keep that one. 

I have a 08 and is a great bike in the woods. I ride Jordan creek. Best aftermarket part I bought was a hydraulic clutch. Speedy but well worth it when riding super tight stuff.
I've been riding a 15 Ktm 350xcf for a year now with a rekluse and haven't rode the rm since. The ktm is just a lot easier. But for the price I'd ride the rm. I'm not making more money in races cause I ride the ktm. Main thing is have fun. The rm does that

ABSOLUTELY LOVE my RM for woods. FMF gnarly, power core 2, steahly fww, 13-50 gearing, and a nice skid plate from Ricochet. I haven't got around to getting the suspension set up for woods, but i kinda enjoy the work out, so i might keep it set up for moto1492887853743.thumb.jpeg.023b19f6f2ff19816b58f1a0ad64380e.jpeg