2014-2017 yz450f issues

Problem I am having is thumpertalk is void of any Yamaha issues and I'm bored. I wish someone would break one so I can follow the thread....but no. I have almost 60 hours on my 2016, bought new, pc link and renthal twinwalls, heavier spring in rear.....absolutely love the bike. I don't even want to change graphics since it comes with enmolded stuff and still looks new. Anyone have anything negative to say about their yz? Please?

• Like 4

Yea, I have 200+ hrs on my FX with no issues. The bike is too easy to ride, it handles/turns like it on rails  and those damn shrouds with the design molded in the plastic look good and last too long.

• Like 2

I've had 3 yzf's, currently on a 16fx and never removed a bolt from the engine besides oil filter and some clutch work. Change oil, clean filter and ride.

• Like 1

Yea, I have 200+ hrs on my FX with no issues. The bike is too easy to ride, it handles/turns like it on rails  and those damn shrouds with the design molded in the plastic look good and last too long.

How many hours before rebuild?

Piston kit, cam chain and valve seals at 100 hrs. Getting ready to do it again.

How did it spec out? Worn to smithereens?

At only 100 hrs. the parts are still new. But some people play extra safe. 

I can't believe that. 100hrs is pretty phenomenal!

I have had the screws that hold the exhaust pipe guards rattle loose. Lost two of them. Thinking of selling this POS.

• Like 4

I have had the screws that hold the exhaust pipe guards rattle loose. Lost two of them. Thinking of selling this POS.

My stock chain and sprockets didn't last long, was gonna sell it when my tire wore down too....hahaha! I think if I shot this bike the bullet would just fall to the ground, the bike would start and do a wheelie around the back yard.
  • Like 2

Just check my valves on my '15 at 48 hrs.  They still haven't budged.  Guess I will check when I feel guilty again :)  

Awesome bikes... I've owned many many bikes and don't think I've ever regretted getting rid of a bike as much as when I sold 2016 yz450. Never had one problem with the bike. There's a good chance I'll be back on a Yz450f in 2018!

• Like 1

Awesome bikes... I've owned many many bikes and don't think I've ever regretted getting rid of a bike as much as when I sold 2016 yz450. Never had one problem with the bike. There's a good chance I'll be back on a Yz450f in 2018!

How many hours when you sold it?

9 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

How did it spec out? Worn to smithereens?

I didn't measure anything but valve clearance. Besides some normal carbon buildup, it all looked like new. My valves don't move so I just replaced the seals and cleaned up the head, threw in a OEM piston kit and a cam chain. My previous gen YZ250F has 560 hrs on a completely built motor following the same maintenance schedule.

Less than $150 per 100 hr season for engine parts.  :D

I spend triple that on tires. :(

• Like 3

Gahdam tires wore out in only 15 hours, and the bike won't stay clean at ALL. 

Most of my tools are starting to rust over from just sitting around....

The suspension allows be to ride terrain I am normally scared of, so that sucks.

Oh, and one seat tab thread stripped slightly, from not aligning the seat upon re installation. I blame all of Japan.

• Like 2

Just did my first valve check at a bit less then 60 hours. Guess I can't even open my shim box. I'm seeing some teeth wear on my rear sprocket though.... hope to be able to break that soon. Or something.

I didn't measure anything but valve clearance. Besides some normal carbon buildup, it all looked like new. My valves don't move so I just replaced the seals and cleaned up the head, threw in a OEM piston kit and a cam chain. My previous gen YZ250F has 560 hrs on a completely built motor following the same maintenance schedule.
Less than $150 per 100 hr season for engine parts. 
I spend triple that on tires.

Wait....are you going 100hrs on a 250f piston?!
  • Like 1

yep
Actually a 250FX

Wow. That's incredible! I guess I will change mine out at the end of the season, about 100 hours, I ride about 50 hours a year. Seems chains, sprockets and tires don't last long on these, I ride sand which usually isn't too tough on tires, but this is my third set. Was about to switch from my trusty mx32 to a shinko and save some cash. I would run an mx11 but I feel this bike would kill it in a week. Why, the other day at a track in Michigan, I was 4th gear tapped out and the sucker started pulling the front wheel off the ground....its a fast bike. I haven't done any after market stuff except creature comforts.55516.png
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hondaman331 said:

Wow. That's incredible! I guess I will change mine out at the end of the season, about 100 hours, I ride about 50 hours a year. Seems chains, sprockets and tires don't last long on these, I ride sand which usually isn't too tough on tires, but this is my third set. Was about to switch from my trusty mx32 to a shinko and save some cash. I would run an mx11 but I feel this bike would kill it in a week. Why, the other day at a track in Michigan, I was 4th gear tapped out and the sucker started pulling the front wheel off the ground....its a fast bike. I haven't done any after market stuff except creature comforts.55516.png

OMG, I would go insane......I need at LEAST 200 hours a year to feel normal...

• Like 1