Sign in to follow this  

starting issue

Hi,

on my wr450 2008 i did a quite complete engine "renewal". I now have renovated crankshaft, new athena big bore and a renovated head and adjusted valves. The issue is, I can not start the engine at all. 

When there is no spark plug it is easy to turn the engine around, but once I get the spark plug in the starter can hardly turn the engine around or does not at all. And even with the leg it is very difficult to turn it. It feels like if the compression is too big and there is no power to get through it... I have rechecked everything twice and the camshaft is adjusted according to the manual. Obviously the cylinder and the valve are new, but can it really get this difficult to move?

What can I be doing wrong?

Thx!

Tomas

That is what I thought too. But the rotor sign I is on the mark, when the dots on the cams are as in the manual - on the side and top... I will check again. Is there anything I could just be missdoing?

This is precisely how i have the cams set. The issue is not only that the starter can not move it, but it is also difficult with the leg. At the TDC that was happening even before, but now it seems much more difficult for both starter and leg even before the TDC. In my opinion the cams are set properly, and i checked also the decompression on the cam and when dismounted it works just fine. Maybe i am doing something "little" wrong... And at the end the engine does not start... 

Edited by chandic

34 minutes ago, chandic said:

This is precisely how i have the cams set. The issue is not only that the starter can not move it, but it is also difficult with the leg. At the TDC that was happening even before, but now it seems much more difficult for both starter and leg even before the TDC. In my opinion the cams are set properly, and i checked also the decompression on the cam and when dismounted it works just fine. Maybe i am doing something "little" wrong... And at the end the engine does not start... 

It might have a little more compression than stock. I don't kick start mine. Try a new battery or make sure yours is at 13.5 volts or so. 

the final result was that the exhaust cam was damaged - or better said the toothed wheel was moved, which was difficult to spot. but it made the timing completely wrong...