Starting trouble

Hey guys. So just got this bike a couple weeks ago. It's a 04. The dang thing is a very hard bike to start. Dude I bought it from said the trick to starting was wiggle the throttle while holding the starter. Blah blah. Anyways I've put a new air filter on along with a jd jet kit. Well it's still very hard to start. Once it hits and warms up it runs good. But even after it has warmed up and you kill it it can still be very tough to start. Can I get some advise on this? It's killing me ha. Thanks guys.

Oh and it tends to pop and kind of backfire some when I am trying to start it.

Yeah my Air box is open up and it had a fmf powercore. I haven't checked the valves yet. I have a buddy that suppose to help me do that.

I put the 165 main on when I did the jetting cause I felt it needed more gas since I had to give it throttle to start. Any way it could be too rich with this jet?

The main jet only meters fuel from 3/4 to wide open throttle, not related at all the starting & low rpms.

Suspect the valve adjustment first, second would be a partially blocked slow jet & circuit.

Just replaced the slow jet and carb looked clean. Everyone is telling me valves and it's gonna suck to drop that amount of money they are saying it will cost. Ha

Depends, if you are lucky they are simply out of adjustment and require different shims (10$)

if the valves and seats are worn beyond their service limit, then you will need the cylinder head refurbed (new valves, valve seats re-cut, new seals).

It's the 'while you're at it'  that adds up,

since the engine will be halfway torn open, at this point for peace of mind you might as well replace the piston, rings, timing chain and tensioner.

Early CRF's (2004-2006) weren't know for their great longetivity, later years had improvements in materials used.

Edited by mlatour

Lol great. Ha sounds like a 2000 dollar bike just got a lot more expensive. Ha

Get yourself a feeler guage pull off you're valve cover and check you're valves.. Also check to see if you're timing is on point. If valves are out get yourself a shim kit and do some research. 

Should be doing this tonight the wknds for riding!! Lol good luck man! 

• Like 1

Lol I agree. But it is gonna rain here all weekend and I have really never checked valves. Watched some videos on it and doesn't look too difficult.

YouTube is a blessing lol I just rebuilt my first top end using YouTube lol you can also find a shop manual online if you don't have one already for the specs!