2 BIKE HITCH CARRIER -2004 GMC YUKON

Good morning All,

Any of you use a TWO (2) Bike Hitch Carrier on a 2004 GMC YUKON or CHEVY TAHOE? (Not XL or SUBURBAN).

- What is the weight capacity on the hitch and what carrier brand are you using?

- Does it work well or do the bikes bounce all over the place?

I would rather have a Carrier to haul a small Honda XR100R and a regular size Adult bike, than having to worry about storing a trailer.

Thanks in advance.

I know someone that ran a double for two full sized bikes, but it was on a diesel Excursion with a class IV hitch. 1st, I'd check your hitch capacity and 2nd, you'll want to bag your coils. I have hauled a 500lb. street bike on a carrier w/ my 2001 Tahoe 4X4, but you have to factor in weight and the multiplier as it extends out behind your rig.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cantilever-beams-d_1848.html

14 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I know someone that ran a double for two full sized bikes, but it was on a diesel Excursion with a class IV hitch. 1st, I'd check your hitch capacity and 2nd, you'll want to bag your coils. I have hauled a 500lb. street bike on a carrier w/ my 2001 Tahoe 4X4, but you have to factor in weight and the multiplier as it extends out behind your rig.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cantilever-beams-d_1848.html

Yeah, you are talking some serious tongue weight there.

7 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Yeah, you are talking some serious tongue weight there.

I think so too. Max tongue on my 'Hoe is 600lbs. Of course, we all know it will do a bit more. The 600lbs. is what the lawyers agreed to. ;) None the less, not a good idea to run things for long at max.

I used a single carrier for my XR4 and CR250 on my 01 Tahoe and now on my 08 Yukon. With the XR4 I can definitely feel the weight affecting the steering, noticeable lighter. The CR is noticeable but only at certain times. If you load the little bike last it may be acceptable but I am sure you will notice it. If you use common sense and controll your speed you may be fine. Another issue you need to consider is fuel, do not-do not-do not carry it in your vehicle. I have a few times and am now taking steps to rectify that,,,never again. I think in the long run you will benefit more from a lightweight utility type trailer for all around use.

30 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I used a single carrier for my XR4 and CR250 on my 01 Tahoe and now on my 08 Yukon. With the XR4 I can definitely feel the weight affecting the steering, noticeable lighter. The CR is noticeable but only at certain times. If you load the little bike last it may be acceptable but I am sure you will notice it. If you use common sense and controll your speed you may be fine. Another issue you need to consider is fuel, do not-do not-do not carry it in your vehicle. I have a few times and am now taking steps to rectify that,,,never again. I think in the long run you will benefit more from a lightweight utility type trailer for all around use.

Thanks for everyone's input, you convinced me to get the trailer.

I have the "AB" carrier, single bike holder. I carry a YZ250/Sherco 300 on my 2010 Nissan Pathfinder. The bike is not noticeable, and doesn't affect steering or fuel consumption.

I would imagine your frame/hitch would support a double bike carrier, but give those cats a call, i'm sure they could answer your questions.

Good luck.

Just now, jamracing said:

I have the "AB" carrier, single bike holder. I carry a YZ250/Sherco 300 on my 2010 Nissan Pathfinder. The bike is not noticeable, and doesn't affect steering or fuel consumption.

I would imagine your frame/hitch would support a double bike carrier, but give those cats a call, i'm sure they could answer your questions.

Good luck.

Thanks again. Assuming you are happy with your purchase?

I just drove back from Florida and passed a guy that I thought had a small trailer but was a carrier with small tires on the rear of it, F-that buy a trailer, those tiny tires had to be 80000 rpm at 65mph

I've been using a double hitch rack on my Jeep zj grand Cherokee.

The rack is steel and aluminum, and rated for 600 lbs. I don't doubt that the rack will hold a full 600, but the Jeep probably wouldn't like it.

I use it for pit bikes and scooters, with little effect on the ride quality. I'm confident that it could handle one full size and one pitter or mini just fine. 

I'm sure that a beefier truck could handle 2 full sized bikes on this rack safely, and unless both are XR 650s, it shouldn't be at max capacity. 

I did put reflectors all across the back and front corners, and I'm contemplating actual tail lights.

I used a double on my zj for a 525exc and a crf250x handeled it no problem still have the carrier, may have been above tounge weight but should be fine on your tahoe trailers are a pita 

• Like 1

I used a double on my zj for a 525exc and a crf250x handeled it no problem still have the carrier, may have been above tounge weight but should be fine on your tahoe trailers are a pita 

I use my rail for longer drives, and to save $$ on toll roads. I'll use the trailer for muddy/rainy days, so I can get dressed NOT in the damn mud and puddles.

I have used the Versa Haul two carry system. Carry two 450s without any issues. All you need is a class 3 hitch that comes with most trucks and Suvs. Have had no issues, but I do have a 3/4 ton truck. I would assume the weight would effect the smaller vehicles differently, but the hitch recived option is totally safe as long as you have a class 3 or better. just over strap.