KTM 350 XC-F vs 450 XC-F vs 250 XC

I currently have an 08 KTM 250 XC-F and this summer I am, hopefully, getting a new bike as long as I can make the money. I will be buying used as I will definitely not be able to make 10K. I'm looking for a bike that is more powerful, something that I can ride agressively, and I've ridden bikes with a lot of power in the top end and a lot of torque in the low end so I could go either way as long as it has more power. I ride fairly fast paced, soft trails with a lot of roots and climbs with some occasional open sections. I like hitting corners hard and the straightaways harder. I will also be riding track occasionally.

350xcf 

Yea I've heard nothing but good things about the 350 but I am interested in a two stroke as well.

Just now, Bubba768 said:

Yea I've heard nothing but good things about the 350 but I am interested in a two stroke as well.

My second choice would be a 250xc..

• Like 1

Buddy has a 2016 350xc-f

That thing is a blast. Have to keep the revs up as most the power is up top but still has a decent amount of pull down low.

Suspension is ok, he's shorter and a little lighter so his settings are strange to me but still pretty good feel.

Fairly easy transition for me as I am on a 250xc-w 2-T.

Another friend has the 17 crf 450rx.

That is a great bike as well.

Power everywhere and we are getting the suspension dialed in for him, not bad though for stock settings.

But I'm pretty partial to the smokers.

Really like my 250xc-w. Revs quick, has plenty of power for my 46 year old butt.

Suspension is dialed for the riding I do.

No valves to adjust and I can freshen up the motor for under $250 in an evening in the garage.

• Like 1

Buddy has a 2016 350xc-f
That thing is a blast. Have to keep the revs up as most the power is up top but still has a decent amount of pull down low.
Suspension is ok, he's shorter and a little lighter so his settings are strange to me but still pretty good feel.
Fairly easy transition for me as I am on a 250xc-w 2-T.
Another friend has the 17 crf 450rx.
That is a great bike as well.
Power everywhere and we are getting the suspension dialed in for him, not bad though for stock settings.

But I'm pretty partial to the smokers.
Really like my 250xc-w. Revs quick, has plenty of power for my 46 year old butt.
Suspension is dialed for the riding I do.
No valves to adjust and I can freshen up the motor for under $250 in an evening in the garage.

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll get the 250 xc so I can race them both because they're the same displacement and then in a couple of years get the 350 for racing open classes.
  • Like 1

Also remember that the '08 250XCF while being a very good bike, it definitely was not a power house.  Moving up a couple years will be a big step up.  At the same time, I like the idea of buying the newest 250XC (2t) that you can afford, it's guaranteed to have more power and be lighter than your 250XCF.  What ever year you end up with just remember that in '13 KTM started using higher power electric starters, they can be used on older models, that's even if the electric starter interests you.

• Like 1

Also remember that the '08 250XCF while being a very good bike, it definitely was not a power house.  Moving up a couple years will be a big step up.  At the same time, I like the idea of buying the newest 250XC (2t) that you can afford, it's guaranteed to have more power and be lighter than your 250XCF.  What ever year you end up with just remember that in '13 KTM started using higher power electric starters, they can be used on older models, that's even if the electric starter interests you.

Thanks for the help! Yea I definitely noticed that my electric starter is kinda weak but once it's hot it works great. I'll be using it to practice and play around with mostly until I'm ready to race it or a 350.
  • Like 1