FMF TC2 Question YZ250X

I have a '16 YZ250X and out of haste I purchased a YZ250 TC2 from ebay that indicated it worked for a 250X.  I have been seeing posts that indicate there is a specific TC2 for the X and that the YZ250 specific one will not work as good.  Is there a big difference?  Mine fits fine and seems to work okay.  Maybe a little loss of top end power due to the spark arrestor but perhaps not as I am not able to tell by seat of the pants impressions.  It's slightly quieter than my stock pipe but not by much.  For the record I have the stock pipe and no other mods.  I am just wanting to be legal in the forests and obviously get the most out of my X.

I think there WAS a different part number, but nobody seems to know why.  It does not appear to be available anymore.  Maybe a mixup?  The standard YZ250 TC2 is just fine to use.

Just get the standard TC "GYTR" version adds some slick bling and it's the same price! 

Well here's the skinny.  Before I saw your response Doc I called FMF and asked them the same question.  They say that there is a difference between the YZ250 and X model TC2 silencers. The specific X silencer has a smaller diameter end cap, inlet, and baffle.  All this is designed to enhance the low end performance and limit somewhat more the top end.  He acknowledged that they will both fit but there are two different silencers.  I got the FMF TC2 (part #024066) which I believe is the motocross specific one so apparently mine has the larger inlet, baffle, and end cap diameter for the YZ250 motocross model.  So mine is more free flowing and thus I should be feeling a more stock like top end and less bottom than their X specific silencer.  I wouldn't really know since I bought the YZ250 one.  

Regardless I like the one I have.  It looks awesome and if I really am retaining more top and slightly less bottom power I am okay with that as I tend to moto it around a track now and again and compared to my '07 YZ250 (now sold) the tractability of the X is more than enough for me.  And yes Wrfrk that GYTR version looks amazing too.  Maybe if I get the Gnarly one day I'll get back some of the bottom I lost.  Ha ha.

• Like 1