Chinese master cylinders

yeah... ive got an opinion on chinese stuff like that.

its pure garbage.  anything remotely electrical or mechanical, from china, is 100% pure garbage. trust me... ive spent thousands and ordered hundreds of items from china.... never again.  you get what you pay for.

the quality, the feel, the fitment, its pivot points, ... its a joke.

I mean... youve obviously worn/broken a tough ass, properly made OEM one... what makes you think this master cylinder made from melted cans and floor sweepings is gonna last??

personally, id buy a used OEM one before I bought a brand new chinese one.   im hard on my stuff... theres 2 things ive learned.

1. it sucks having cheap parts break out in the backcountry because you tried to save a few bucks, and just ruined 5 guys days.

2. cheap pays twice!!!! 

Hey, it says you can save an extra 5% if you buy 2 or more.  I would take them up on their offer, you going to need the spares. :smirk:

• Like 4

But it looks really similar....and stuff.  

I am just trying to beef up the brakes on my old kx that has a weak front brake.  I read that replacing the oem one with a Honda master will help, and when I went to shop for a used one those things came up.  

I could have got a couple cups of coffee, but I ordered that instead.  

Don't worry, I won't try it until I get myself the cheapest possible helmet.    

• Like 3

It is just an unfounded myth that KX have bad brakes. I have a couple Kaw 450s that will stand you on your nose with 1 finger on the lever. Only change from OEM on them is an oversized rotor.

3 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

It is just an unfounded myth that KX have bad brakes. I have a couple Kaw 450s that will stand you on your nose with 1 finger on the lever. Only change from OEM on them is an oversized rotor.

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? :thinking::lol:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crypto666 said:

...I am just trying to beef up the brakes on my old kx that has a weak front brake...

It bleeds over from another thread. Enough china tea?

12 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

My right hand tells me it isn't a myth.  My other option was the bigger rotor, so I will probably go that route.

• Like 1

yeah... ive got an opinion on chinese stuff like that.

its pure garbage.  anything remotely electrical or mechanical, from china, is 100% pure garbage. trust me... ive spent thousands and ordered hundreds of items from china.... never again.  you get what you pay for.

the quality, the feel, the fitment, its pivot points, ... its a joke.

I mean... youve obviously worn/broken a tough ass, properly made OEM one... what makes you think this master cylinder made from melted cans and floor sweepings is gonna last??

personally, id buy a used OEM one before I bought a brand new chinese one.   im hard on my stuff... theres 2 things ive learned.

1. it sucks having cheap parts break out in the backcountry because you tried to save a few bucks, and just ruined 5 guys days.

2. cheap pays twice!!!! 

This 100%. The only Chinese part I've bought is gpi radiators (Which I'm actually happy with), but I've seen bike with Chinese carbs and others parts and they're bad. Bad metal, poorly machined, bad surfaces, bad seals and gaskets.

I buy cheap-o chinese stuff all the time and have had excellent luck with the crap I buy. That being said, I would NOT buy a brake master cyl that was a chinese knockoff part. Not a chance in hell. I would def spend the cash on a real master or a take off from another bike. 

• Like 1

Mine are 2008.  How old is yours? Sometimes I can find used front master cylinders on ebay for mine pretty cheap.  I saw one the other day that had master cylinder, cable, caliper, pads and lever for $80 and they looked new.

32 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

Mine are 2008.  How old is yours? Sometimes I can find used front master cylinders on ebay for mine pretty cheap.  I saw one the other day that had master cylinder, cable, caliper, pads and lever for $80 and they looked new.

Its a 1999 kx, and the brakes work, but I find it takes more effort than even my 650r.  All the masters I saw were either too much $, or they look like something found in the ditch.   If I can't find anything used for reasonable, I think the oversized rotor will be the answer.    

I got the tusk oversized rotors off RMATV.  You think there was a MC design flaw in 99 that was fixed later?  I would think about any year would work on your 99. no?  I saw a 2016 KX450 MC for $58. Too much?

1 hour ago, crypto666 said:

I could have got a couple cups of coffee, but I ordered that instead.  

Don't worry, I won't try it until I get myself the cheapest possible helmet.    

I like Chinese parts. Chinese food. Everything China. 

I get some sweet Chinese brake pads for $10 a set and so far haven't died. Yay.

They even held up for 20 miles on a severely bent rotor.

On the other hand I've had a $40-50 set of Ebc come apart on me. I guess everything British sucks :excuseme:

China can make a good or bad part depending on the sweat shop producing it. Some of them must run a tight ship.

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

I got the tusk oversized rotors off RMATV.  You think there was a MC design flaw in 99 that was fixed later?  I would think about any year would work on your 99. no?  I saw a 2016 KX450 MC for $58. Too much?

I swear I saw the tusk for a 99 before, but I am not seeing them now.  At this point $58 is too much, but let me wack a couple trees and that might change.  I would rather put the money in to the rotor.

16 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

I like Chinese parts. Chinese food. Everything China. 

I get some sweet Chinese brake pads for $10 a set and so far haven't died. Yay.

They even held up for 20 miles on a severely bent rotor.

On the other hand I've had a $40-50 set of Ebc come apart on me. I guess everything British sucks :excuseme:

China can make a good or bad part depending on the sweat shop producing it. Some of them must run a tight ship.

So much truth.

• Like 3

I got one of mine at the $99 and the other at $120.  Although, it has been a long time ago, 4-5 years. Wait, I build and ice tire wheel set last year and got another for that one. I got it off ebay for 110 from mach3motorsports. Dec2016.

I am willing to be a dissenter and say that you should buy the Chinese master cylinder. 

The truth of the matter is that it could be OEM like quality, or it could be junk, but at that price it's worth taking a chance on. I roll the dice on this kind of stuff often, and feel that my win/loss rate is very good. The biggest problem is getting stuff on time. As someone else said, some of the sweat shops run a really tight ship these days. You'll know if this part is good within the first couple hours of use. Don't go straight to a pro MX race or black diamond trail as soon as you put it on.

I've been around quite a few Chinese bikes and scooters and have yet to have a master cylinder failure, including one that had a broken sight glass and been exposed to the weather for an undetermined amount of time. I sealed with a blob of rtv flushed it with dot 3, and it works just fine to this day. I can't say that about magura MCs or whatever Kawasaki uses. I haven't had a brake system hydraulic problem on any of the Honda's or Yammies that I've owned though. 

• Like 2

Nope!

This thing sucks.  There is no feel to it at all, and instead of one finger, its a minimum of three.  

exterior wise it looks every bit oem minus the cast in numbers and logo.  Internally it is not a functional master cylinder for a motorcycle.  I don't know what the &%$#@! it is, but it can't be used for a front brake.  

• Like 1