Hi There,   

I bought a 2000 CR250 and it's been great, I love it...but I was unable to adjust the compression on either fork.  I doubt the previous owner ever did any suspension maintenance.  Long story short, I broke the compression adjustment screw on my right side Fork Bolt Assembly.   The forks are apart now and still I am unable to move the adjustment needle on the one that isn't broken.  

The problem is I can no longer seem to source a new Bolt Assy.  There's not even any used ones on ebay.  

Any insight on if I can fit from another year?  I can't seem to find any good information on this anywhere?  Or even just a place that still has this part in stock?  

Also, do they come apart?  Would it be possible to have a new adjustment screw machined?

Thanks,

Edited by CR250Tweeter

Only a machinist can answer that last question. Anything is possible but at what expense. I see full fork sets for less than $200 all the time. Occasionally much less. In fact, right now. Do you have an OEM service manual? I strongly suggest one, it will be a huge money saver.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, turbo dan said:

No reason you cant run them as they are.  How much do you really want to spend?

Yeah I have been running it,  and for motocross it's fine,  but when we go to do trails and stuff the forks are super harsh in the rocks, roots and small chop and I'd just love to be able to soften the compression. 

That will probably take more than clicker adjustments to really smooth out.  The valving is still going to be too stiff for a plush ride on that stuff.  The bleed circuit is not going to be able to overcome damping from the mid valve.

3 hours ago, CR250Tweeter said:

Yeah I have been running it,  and for motocross it's fine,  but when we go to do trails and stuff the forks are super harsh in the rocks, roots and small chop and I'd just love to be able to soften the compression. 

I was thinking of throwing some Gold Valves in, but to put extra money into a 17 year old bike doesn't make tons of sense.  Any other recommendations?  Softer springs perhaps ( i have the stock springs from the previous owner that I could throw in) ?   

I was hoping that loosening off the compression would help a little as we are doing more and more off road riding just to get out on the bikes, and seem to be doing less and less MX as we age.  haha funny how that happens.   

There might be no such thing, but it's nice to have some versatility in a bike setup. 

Along with springs, another cheap easy thing to try is 2.5 fork oil. It does make a difference. And a lower oil level is effective too.

• Like 3