Grip tape on kick starter

This may be a stupid question but has anyone done this. I was riding at the track yesterday and it was muddy as hell and my foot kept sliding off the kick starter. It was driving me crazy.

• Like 1

Kick Starter?? What's that?? 2 of my bike don't even have them and 2 others I only use when I am off balance, which is often. HA... But yes I have tried it on my older machines. It doesn't seem to last on there long since the kickers aren't 100% smooth and nothing to grip too. What I have tried when prepping for mud conditions is actually placing tubing/hose on it, and then make grove cuts just like the old days of trimming knobbies. You'll still get a little grip but even hose gets slippery when wet. I would never run season on season that way but a good idea for wet prep. You have to look out though if running large tank as sometime the diameter of the hose will not allow the kicker to go all the way back in place and you really don't want it hanging out there...

No 'grip tape'. It will grind your boots. It will not make it easy for the kicker to rotate under your arch.

Check your kicker and confirm it is not bent, also look at the angles you are working with, if you have the bike laid over, and you are not square with the lever, slipping off is inevitable.

• Like 1

This may be a stupid question but has anyone done this. I was riding at the track yesterday and it was muddy as hell and my foot kept sliding off the kick starter. It was driving me crazy.

I busted out my hacksaw and put some fresh shallow cuts on mine the other day, worked good. Cut them perpendicular to your boot grip angle.

• Like 2

do you really think 200 grit sandpaper is NOT going to clog up with mud after the first kick and render you right back at square 1???

• Like 1

A better alternative would be slightly bend the foot portion of the kicker forward an 1/8 or so.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:30 PM, RScrf450r said:

If the pivot is worn it will let the footrest part of the shifter go back too far so it isn't square, letting your foot slip off easily. Make sure it doesn't rotate past being square so your foot isn't slipping to the outside when you kick. 

Edited by The Spanky
Autocorrect stupidity...
  • Like 1

I've done this on a couple of bikes with slippery kick start levers.  I purchased some "generic" kick start rubbers, for what bike I have no idea. Triumph or BSA if I remember right - at a swap meet.  The hole looked way too small but I heated it up in some hot water, grabbed a glove and forced it on.  It's still on my YZ after a couple of years.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:52 PM, HeavyRotation said:

20170428_215231.jpg

I like the hell out of that.

I'd also thought about drilling and tapping the end of the kicker and installing a fender washer.

• Like 1