Chinese Dirt Bikes?? / No Than Q !!

True story of 2 Chinese Honda clones I had bought for my kids...

Everything about the quads looked like a good idea... Engine was a clone of the venerable horizontal Honda 50 and 70cc engines we grew up with... 

Nice wide stance with what looked like nitrogen charged piggyback shocks.... Genuine imitation holeshot tires...

Here's where it can look like a rose... But it ain't a rose...

Literally everything that could break , bend , or leak... Did... And all the parts that looked high tech... Like the suspension... Weren't ...

My kids didn't ride hard... They were very young and quite frankly, not interested in riding ... And they didn't ride much...

But every freaking  time they did... Something broke...

Jessica had hers stop when she was a quarter mile out in the field... Engine ran... Quad didn't move... Six weeks from brand new... "Under warranty"

Primary gear side of crank had broken off... Engine started and ran... Nothing  there to drive clutch...

Warranty supplied me with a rebuilt exchange engine...

5 weeks later ... Same thing happened to Sam's quad... Broken drive side of crank...

Materials... Heat treating... Tolerances...Appearances... All not anywhere near Honda function or reliability...

Soooooooo.... I hated these quads with every fiber of my being at this time...

And ... . Not being the kind of a-hole who would sell his problems off to others ...  But I did not want to own them anymore...

Jessica was 7 at the time and loved my idea and wanted to be part of it.... I said we should just take the quads and drop them off at the high school parking lot at midnight... Jessica was all in and thought it was some sort of.funny spy mission..

Quads were loaded on a trailer and ready to go in the early evening...

A friend of mine stopped by and asked what was going on... I told him or plan and he said he wouldn't mind having one for his young daughter... But he didn't have the cash...

I told Jason he could have both of them.for free  right now...

One running and one for parts... Jason was hesitant and didn't feel right about getting  them for free...

I told him he could take them now... Or...If he wanted them after midnight , they would be in the high school parking lot... No joke...

Once he realized I was dead serious, he said he would appreciate  taking them... I told him they were his, but I waant going to o touch wrench to either ever again ... And not to hate me for all he was getting into...

Using one to ride and one for parts , Jason got about a year of daughter training and wrenching in before they were sold on Craigslist for parts...

Edited by mixxer
  • Like 1

My buddy bought two Chinese dirt bikes for his kids because he wasn't too sure if they would like the sport.  These things literally disintegrated before our very eyes.  As Mr. Mixxer stated above anything and everything was bent, broke, or gone missing.  The plastic became brittle and fatigued after just two years of use in the NC sun.  The fancy disk brakes sprouted leaks everywhere.  The chains were made of putty and the swingarm bolts sheared on BOTH bikes!  The tires and seats disintegrated and the engines burned oil like an old Vega.

Disposable garbage...

Later he bought two like-new XR/CRF100s.  The kids ran the heck out of them and a few years later he sold them for just about what he paid for them.

• Like 1

Plus you have to consider they are copying existing machines...

Not engineering anything... 

Think about that for a minute ...  Or 2..

No engineering department...

• Like 1

One half of my China Junk Crap story:

I was an "American Manufactured" (everything except the engines, they only used Japanese or Italian made engines) stand up scooter Dealer for 5 years.

No, not Go Peds. (Go Peds are American made but totally Generic looking)

They were Santa Cruze Scooter Works (brand) and made in San Jose Ca. They were Called "Boxers"

They were very well made and about 40% more expensive than a "Go Ped" but superior ride-ability, were designed for off road or pavement, Tires used air in them, centrifugal clutches, and front suspension. Later versions had chain drive.

From $500.00~up to $800.00

I pretty much got on the ground floor to be a dealer.

Life was good for about 3 years, sales were increasing steadily, different brands of engines were becoming available, all the speed parts were selling, pipes, carbs, gearing, etc.

30cc, 40cc, 42cc, 47cc, 52cc, 60cc.

Then China flooded the market! Seems like they were being sold every where. It was like the Black Market. People were selling them out of there car,

On the street corner next to the people selling watermelons, strawberries, flee markets, etc.

You could by scooters for $200.00 all the sudden.

My sales dried up over night.

But no one did repairs, no one sold parts, they didn't even last a day, parents were pissed, they realized that bought a piece of junk, with no way possible to get them running again.

All the street corner dealers that purchased a Connex box full of them, moved to different locations and neighbor hoods, over and over till they ran out of product and disappeared.

In the very beginning, I tried to do repairs but with no parts, dozens of versions, people did not want to pay more for repairs that the thing cost new.

And certainty did not want to pay $500-800 for a good one after they just got bent over after spending $200.00 (cash) with no recourse.

Then the Calif air resources board and the EPA got involved with emission compliance and that's it, gone, done, over. Did you know that 2 stroke scooter engines cause "global warming" and that kids get hurt on them.

Now days you need to have a full Class C Motorcycle license to ride them anywhere, with helmets and insurance.

Leads me to how I got my first 2005 150f

I traded three used gas powered Santa Cruze Scooter Works, scooters for a nice beginner dirt bike for my 10year old Son.

That my friends is how that I got started out on this forum and look at me now, I ended up in the 1% club.

• Like 2

We said the same thing about Japananese junk in the sixties.  Now they make top quality products.  Part of the problem with chinesium products is some U.S. importers grinding them down on a price point to maximize profit.  A lot of US and other companies are successful not doing it that way and are able to bring quality products to market from China.

I'm thinking about one of those porta band saws from HF for $99.  Do I dare? It would be handy mounted in a table.

I remember those quads.  My buddy bought two and they were short lived.  What were they $500 ea. from SAMs club.? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

We said the same thing about Japananese junk in the sixties.  Now they make top quality products.

That is because they were trained by W. Edwards Deming and they fully adopted his principles.  This later became TPS and Deming's work went on the become Six Sigma.  The Chinese are simply copying designs and that is not the same.  I have worked in the ASME fabrication and manufacturing sectors for decades as well as the CFD and FEA sectors.  You can not just copy something by looking at it and reproducing dimensional data.  Bolts are not just bolts, flanges are nut just flanges, steel is not just steel, weld joints are not just weld joints and welds are not just welds.

Harbor Fright?  All the tools I started buying in high school in the early 80s are still in my toolbox.  In fact, many of those very same were used to put the cam and piston in my CRF230.  Had I bought HF tools they would have likely cycled a dozen times by now.

Why Americans are now so obsessed with cheap junk is beyond me.  Americans will just keep on sending money to China in hopes that one day that junk will be good?  Back when the Japanese made junk nobody would buy it, which caused them to get on board and fix it.  Americans didn't just shovel boat-loads of money in the direction of Japan.  Plenty of money for booze, cigarettes, weed, etc. but no money for quality items?  Very strange...

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

Hondaguy, What happened to motorized skate boards?  Were'nt those goped motors?  Those looked dangerous enough to be of interest.

Hondaguy, What happened to motorized skate boards?  Were'nt those goped motors?  Those looked dangerous enough to be of interest.

Nope nothing was even similar to a Go Ped other that you stand on it and they had two wheels with gold down handlebars.

They used Tanaka 33, 40, 47cc and Mitsubishi 42, 52 engines from Japan or Bluebird 52, 57 and Active 52 engines from Italy. None were reed valve but I converted many. Up to 29 mm carbs, all kind of pipes were made for them.
  • Like 1

Must have been a local thing in SoCal. No handlebars, just a cable to a hand-throttle-like push button slot car type control held at waist.  Pretty sure they had a goped motor at rear of board with gear or belt drive.  No brakes, of course.  Wicked, man.

Must have been a local thing in SoCal. No handlebars, just a cable to a hand-throttle-like push button slot car type control held at waist.  Pretty sure they had a goped motor at rear of board with gear or belt drive.  No brakes, of course.  Wicked, man.

Forgot to mention, these had a disk brake on front wheel only.

China Dirt bikes Im a little smarter to not buy the junk in the first place. After seeing the broken down China bikes in few months from new.Then seeing the riders with no parts to fix them. Very Stupid of the China bike manufacturers. To not supply repair parts,as the could of sold them. Every two weeks for repairs making them more money then purchase price of bike.  

• Like 2