GVW Tax and Sound Transit Tax

Just renewed the tabs for my PU and PUs  have gross weight taxes AND RTA tax.

The GVW tax increased 52% so the tax rate increased that amount. What is interesting is the GVW is not based on mfg GVW but a calculation based on 150% of scale weight and then rounding to the next higher bracket, and the brackets are in 2000lb increments. So my GVW for tax is 141% higher than the manufacturers GVW.

Because of ST3 the RTA tax increase 360% from last year.

I don't mine paying taxes but I don't like paying taxes on what appear to be inflated weight and values. Not just.
 I have sent a email to all three of my WA Legislatures and asked for a response regarding their intended actions to correct the issues.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 2

The GVW tax increased 52% so the tax rate increased that amount. What is interesting is the GVW is not based on mfg GVW but a calculation based on 150% of scale weight and then rounding to the next higher bracket, and the brackets are in 2000lb increments. So my GVW for tax is 141% higher than the manufacturers GVW.
I don't mine paying taxes but I don't like paying taxes on what appear to be inflated weight and values. Not just.
 I have sent a email to all three of my WA Legislatures and asked for a response regarding their intended actions to correct the issues.

And even though you pay tonnage on your truck, you still have to license the camper that you put in the bed of your truck. Explain that logic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Yeah it is disheartening and anger provoaking. I don't understand why we just keep letting those who will NEVER be into recreational activities like ours dictate what we have to pay them in order to pursue our passions. It's maddening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TahuyaRider said:

Yeah it is disheartening and anger provoaking. I don't understand why we just keep letting those who will NEVER be into recreational activities like ours dictate what we have to pay them in order to pursue our passions. It's maddening.

What is even more maddening ( for you guys in the RTA taxing areas) is that probably 40-60% of eligible voters actually voted at all......and out of those 40%, a simple majority probably succeeded in approving it ( 55% ?  of those 40%). Tens of billions in taxes saddled on the public by a definite minority of the voters. 

Joe

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

They have collected it on my two vehicle renewals; a car near end of March and the PU near the end of April.

phone number to call at bottom,  but even if the msrp is right the tax is ridicules. Tried to tell people not to vote for it.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/department-of-licensing-admits-inaccuracies-in-some-msrp-figures-used-to-calculate-car-tab-taxes/420999759

8 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

What is even more maddening ( for you guys in the RTA taxing areas) is that probably 40-60% of eligible voters actually voted at all......and out of those 40%, a simple majority probably succeeded in approving it ( 55% ?  of those 40%). Tens of billions in taxes saddled on the public by a definite minority of the voters. 

Joe

But but we will have choo choo trains in like 40 or so years.

i love how they haven't even figured out to run the train over the floating bridge but they are charging forward with it anyway. Gee you think after thier "findings" more taxes will be needed?

meenwhile everyday I drive home the Preston and highway 18 exits are turning to outright bedlam. People swerving to make the offramp by stacking up on the shoulder to wait thier turn. Everyday the offramp to 18 backs up a couple miles in both directions. This place is bursting at the seems and we are paying exhorbant taxes for choo choo trains that might be available in decades to handle maybe 2% of all trips. Then there's the whole problem of parking garages(or lack thier of). Utter lunacy.

My sister said it was important to vote yes on this even tho she and I don't live in RTA-ville (so neither of us actually voted on this) but my big question is in 30 years when they finally extend light rail from Northgate to Everett Station ........ how they gonna fix from Everett Station to Smokey Point let alone Mt. Vernon? 30 years is a LONG time to wait for a solution that doesn't even address a major problem. 

I'm thinking they're figuring that most people will leave the area out of frustration by the time anyone actually conjures up the idea to hold Sound Transit accountable for anything. 

At least I don't live in RTA-ville. :busted::banana::busted:

https://www.soundtransit.org/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/about/stdistrictmap07_10.pdf