Anyone else using 4 fingers on the clutch?

I'm guessing it's not really correct...but it's because I'm a converted street rider that's only been riding dirt for a few years. It never crossed my mind that it might not be correct until I watched a video recently. When I say I'm using 4 fingers, I don't mean I'm resting them on the lever when I ride...they're wrapped around the grip while riding and I just pop them out quickly for shifts.

I do ride with one finger on the front brake at times in sketchy stuff...but not all the time. I've had some get off's but nothing that I can blame on my hand position with the clutch.

Just curious if anyone else rides with 4?

?

10 minutes ago, DEMI said:

not for quick stabs, one or two fingers is all you need. Concentrate really hard next time you ride and try it. More control.... 

Yeah...after riding street bikes that way for 25+ years it's a hard habit to break...but I will make a point in trying.

• Like 2

As with street forums, I like the full levers, and although I've ridden many a bike with shorty levers, they are junk. People that say, "I use one finger on the clutch", are either not using the clutch, or just dragging it a little. On my street bike, I like the long full lever, as I am all over and when my hand needs a lever, it needs to be there. Especially on the dirt, when I grab the lever, clutch or brake, it better be there and lots of it. I have been riding since 1965, worked as a line tech for 30 years, raced RR and MX, I'm retired now, just do Vintage MX. 

I often use brakes, and clutch together, long levers may not be for you, but I like them. Too much happening, when things get moving, to only have one tiny little groove for one finger next to a rubber cover, for me to find it when I need it.

that's me.

• Like 2

I use 2 in fast, multiple turns, cover one in the whoops. How do you do it in the whoops?

When I feel like I need the extra grip strength, like in whoops, I grab the bars with all 4 fingers. Really depends how deep they are. Everywhere else I keep 1 or 2 on the clutch. At least that's what I try to do.

1 hour ago, jcross312 said:

When I feel like I need the extra grip strength, like in whoops, I grab the bars with all 4 fingers. Really depends how deep they are. Everywhere else I keep 1 or 2 on the clutch. At least that's what I try to do.

Ever since I had a stuck throttle crash I never take my finger off the clutch, even in the whoops. But I do have a much stronger than average grip due to the work I do and have done, or maybe just genetics. Crash cost me over $20,000 and 6 months off the bike. :ride:

One finger on clutch, one on brake. Asv shorty levers. Clutch lever should come into your hand and not fully engage, keeping tension on rear wheel but taking enough off that it doesn't stall. It's all about control, 4 fingers to me is a whole lot of time and energy, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that... I believe semics teaches one finger on clutch at all times, I don't do that, but it's most of the time for sure....its the torque lever!