KX250F an acceptable trail bike in CO?

Hello, 

There's a sales guy trying to convince me that the KX250X would make a great trail bike for the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.  I know it's a race bike, but what do you think?  Is this worth considering if the price is right?  I'd probably have to mod it a bit.  I'm 45 years old, and I want to ride trails with my kids 9 and 11.

Been there. Great bike, but not for what you are after. What you want is something cheap and unassuming. Such as the crf230.

When kids were that age on 50 and 70 and 100. Honestly, It was not about me. I put myself on a 250 basic 2wd sport quad - and most of the time, that was way more than what I needed.

You would really have to tame the bike to get it functional on the trails to include probably upgrading the radiator and water pump.  There is no point when there are plenty great bikes out there that will suit your needs.  If you want to stay in the Kawasaki family, look at the KLX250.  I agree with the other poster that a Honda CRF230 or even the CRF250X (which I own) would be more appropriate.  Yamaha makes a couple good options in the WR family, or YZ250X.

What you would find with the Kawasaki KX250F is very responsible throttle control which would wear you out on the slower trails where your constantly on and off the throttle (called throttle snatch).  Due to the lack of air flow, your going to overheat thus would need to change the radiator and water pump most likely.  The KX250F is designed to ride fast and hard and that is not what you will be doing on the trails.  That's just to name a few of the issues you would have..

I dont really have a brand loyalty, so I'm open to anything.  I'm going to look at a street legal 2012 KTM250 XC-F this week. It's probable a bit in the agressive side still, but worth a look. 

On 4/28/2017 at 9:19 PM, FaceDeAce said:

Been there. Great bike, but not for what you are after. What you want is something cheap and unassuming. Such as the crf230.

When kids were that age on 50 and 70 and 100. Honestly, It was not about me. I put myself on a 250 basic 2wd sport quad - and most of the time, that was way more than what I needed.

I don't think he intended on getting a 250cc dirt bike for a child.

Edited by thopter_jr

@thopter_jr , ......   My meaning is that to ride around with the kids, a crf150 to crf230 or a TTR in that range is way lots for him to be on while the kids are riding their own bikes.  It is very easy for dad to get distracted from practical reality and wind up shopping/buying something that is overkill for the intended use.  A bigger fancier bike may be ideal if dad is out riding by himself or with his old buddies, but it really kills the deal and fun factor of spending downlow riding time with the kids.  It'd be like going for groceries in a Mac truck.

Depends on how fast your 9 and 11 yr old are now. If they are new to riding than the 250f race bike is way overkill. My kids learned how to ride while I was on a crf100. Stopping constantly and helping out is easy on a mild mannered trail bike with a kickstand. My boy is 9 now and on a 65sx and I need my kx250f to keep up with him. Whatever you get make sure it has or get a kickstand for it cuz they still need helping out at times.

Thanks everyone,  I admit what I want is very different from what I need.  I am guilty of looking at more bike than is really needed here. I do long for the pull of my old KTM 450, but I realize that would be a huge mistake.  I'm probably going to end up with a CRF250X.  

The local dealer has the KX250 marked down to $5200.00, so it's a hard to ignore that price. I have decided on something tamer though. The crf250x seems like a decent compromise. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjms.offroad said:

Thanks everyone,  I admit what I want is very different from what I need.  I am guilty of looking at more bike than is really needed here. I do long for the pull of my old KTM 450, but I realize that would be a huge mistake.  I'm probably going to end up with a CRF250X.  

The local dealer has the KX250 marked down to $5200.00, so it's a hard to ignore that price. I have decided on something tamer though. The crf250x seems like a decent compromise. 

I think most are guilty of this to include myself...LOL.  Bigger, faster, lighter, etc.  Most who encourage you to dial back your choices most likely speak from the experience of getting too much bike for their need/abilities.

I own a 2015 CRF250X which I bought new in 16 as a left over.  I really like the bike for the trails/desert but honestly I ride mostly my first bike, a 2003 XR250R. I had to do a fair amount of work to mellow the throttle snatch of the 250X and found it wore me out on the tight twisty single tracks (I posted at length about this in this forum).  I added a heavier fly wheel and a G2 Throttle tamer which helped alot with the off to on throttle snatch.  The X has changed little since it was introduced in 2004 and took the place of the XR250R.  The 250X is an enduro version of their race bike, the CRF250R.  Has the electric start and wider gear ratio.  One of the huge downsides to the 250X is how tight they built the engine house and getting to different parts of the engine, carb, etc.  Here's a good page for history and possible mods for the 250X.  https://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm

I love my XR250R and you will find a loyal following on this forum.  Reliable, easy to work on, and with a few modifications, all the bike you would need on the trails.

Edited by Rodeojones
  • Like 1