Air filter

Hello. How long should a air filter last for?

The Honda ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER i got from the shop may last year is starting to fall apart. And they are not cheap $89 nzd. I use motul air filter oil with kerosene as cleaner (what i was told to use by shop).

Am i wrong to think they should last longer or as the kerosene help destroy it?

Have switched to no toil as I like the cleaner.

I usually go through one a year on my 250 sense I live in Oregon where it rains most of the time, keeping the dust down. Never came across a $60 usd air filter though, it sounds like you bought a stock one which I found for $37 on Motorsport. I use no-toil products and they have been the best to me so far.

• Like 1

I don't know about the stock filter but on my last bike I got around 10 years out of my Uni air filter using K&N cleaner and oil.

Kerosene is fine but how you clean it makes a difference on longetivity.

We all have a tendency to want to WRING either when cleaning, rinsing or oiling it

but that's hard on the foam and can induce tears and rips.

You really have to be careful and only SQUEEZE it and, and hang it to let it air dry, never using compressed air thru it.

I've got three Twin Air that are 5 years old and still look brand new using the proper method.

• Like 1

Really, the stock unit is a poor design and hard to install properly.  I am switching both our 150s to a big mouth filter for more performance and easier changes.

• Like 1