Sign in to follow this  

Broke my handlebars !

Sooooo....

Went down hard today and broke my bars...

They are renthal 791's...  7/8"

They snapped in half... no bend...

Question is should i go with the 1 1/8" fat bars or stick with the  7/8"?

Ill have to buy new clamps if i get fattys...

Trying to spend as less as possible but if this is just going to keep happening and can be fixed by the fattys i might spend the extra coin.

Also, I'm sure this had everything to do with my bark busters breaking the bars and not bending them... but whatever...9D96D846-98B1-49B2-B908-7ADAE8964E59.jpgD64C970E-D727-4664-9956-E5D14A1D3923.jpg

• Like 1

Ya I normally run 7/8 ProTaper SE's but regardless I've never see that before.

I do use Renthal stuff on my bike and If it was me, I would take more pics showing the bark buster set up etc and email them the Renthal and ask them if they think this was cause by the bark busters or it was an issue with the bar.

IMO I have reached out to a number of manufactures (IE AlpineStars and FMF) gotten excellent customer service.

If you do contact Renthal, keep us posted on the results

• Like 1

Why do you think your handguards contributed to the break? I can't see any reason they would.

The 7/8" Renthals seem to be more likely to break than other alu bars, but less likely to bend. The fat bars seem to break  less often but I still prefer the feel of the old straight bars.

Anything can break if it hits the ground hard enough.

I'd just buy another set of 7/8 bars so you don't need to get new bar mounts and bark buster inner mounts.

I prefer 1 1/8 bars because they flex a bit more when I hit bumps compared to 7/8 bars, but I currently have 7/8 bars on both my bikes as I'm too cheap to buy new bars, mounts and bark buster mounts just to soften the blows to my arms a bit.

• Like 1

I would go with 7/8" bars again to keep costs down. If it happens again, go with the fat bars.

Cool shirt by the way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, motovita said:

Why do you think your handguards contributed to the break? I can't see any reason they would.

The 7/8" Renthals seem to be more likely to break than other alu bars, but less likely to bend. The fat bars seem to break  less often but I still prefer the feel of the old straight bars.

I dont know if they contributed to them actually breaking... but the spot they broke in... which doesnt really matter.

the handguards did make it ALOT easier to get back on the bike and ride back to the truck since they kind of held the bars together from end of the grip.

7 hours ago, Paul T said:

I would go with 7/8" bars again to keep costs down. If it happens again, go with the fat bars.

Cool shirt by the way.

Yep im just going to go with another pair of Renthal 7/8" bars. Thanks for the advice fellas!

Also, thats my buddy in sweet larry the cable guy shirt. 🙂 haha hes a hoot

• Like 2

Looks like the handguards would reduce stress in the area where the break is. Looks like a freak deal to me. I have never bent or broken a Renthal in forty plus years, only brand I will use.

I know the crossbar clamps are torqued to a specific value as not to create a stress riser in the tubing. Same would be true for hand guard clamps.   I've bent 7/8 several renthals and think the SE's are stronger.  I drill the crossbar holes over size and just snug the clamps using loctite. Lets the bars flex more. .02

• Like 1

Send that in to Renthal.  Those guys are very cool!  If anything, information like that could help them to make an even better product.

• Like 1

i've broken a few 7/8" bars in the past... I drop the bike alot. I've tweaked a couple sets of 1-1/8" but never broken a set. I would reach out to renthal and see if they'll send you another set of 7/8". If not, I'd just go up to the 1-1/8" bars and not have to worry about broken bars again. 

Exact same break happened to me with stock renthal bars on my 2005 Honda CRF450R.  They were about 10 years old when it happened and I think age contributed.  The impact was very severe.  I looped out on a solid rock hill and the bike came down on the bar.  I didn't have any handguards on the bike either.

• Like 2

I would try flexx handlebar.

eb6f95c9e127203d8f00493897861af7.jpg

Edited by motf
  • Like 2

I have twin walls on my xr650r and they have taken a beating and have yet to bend noticeably.  I torn and dislocated my shoulders, but the bars have held up well.  Over ten years of abuse.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4Sevens said:

Exact same break happened to me with stock renthal bars on my 2005 Honda CRF450R.  They were about 10 years old when it happened and I think age contributed.  The impact was very severe.  I looped out on a solid rock hill and the bike came down on the bar.  I didn't have any handguards on the bike either.

Out of interest are you sure your 05 CRF came stock with Renthals?

Otherwise 10 years isn't bad

I prefer fatty bars because they bend more and don't seem to break. I've broke 7/8 bars but never fattys.

13 hours ago, filterx said:

Out of interest are you sure your 05 CRF came stock with Renthals?

Otherwise 10 years isn't bad

I am certain.  I bought it new.  They came with the gray 7/8 Renthals.

• Like 1

10 years on a single set of handlebars!? I'm lucky if they last 2. Maybe I'm riding over my head lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kNewc said:

10 years on a single set of handlebars!? I'm lucky if they last 2. Maybe I'm riding over my head lol

but you know -  you're suppose to ride on the bike not throw the bike....

3 hours ago, kNewc said:

Stock plastics too.  In all honesty, I didn't ride for 3 yeas due to a bad injury and multiple surgeries.  That crash happened on the bike but it was a massive case on a triple so the handlebars and plastics were not hurt.  So the bike had 7 years of use on it but the handlebars were 10 years old.