counter sprocket cover

Thinking of a case saver sprocket cover for my xr650l. Will a stock cover from a xr600, or xr400 fit a L? I like the XR's Only but not really wanting to spend 85 bucks.

51 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

The 600R will fit. You do know the plastic L cover has steel in it , right ?

Yep, I know that the stock one has steel in it. I just like the looks of the xr600r and xr400r covers better. Kind of silly I guess since the stock one does what it is designed to do.

7 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

There's a template somewhere for just a bent-metal case saver out there, too.

Fritz's.

The stock one IS kinda ugly and has to be removed to dislodge debris that the chain sucks in.  I've seen some guys cut sections of the cover out by following the slotted pattern on the cover.  Looks pretty good but the middle slot cuts through a reinforced center section.  To maintain the integrity of the cover, I chose to drill holes within the slotted pattern.  I can now pick out mud and debris on the trail  without having to remove the cover.  I also painted the cover black.  I think it looks good and matches the hole theme on the exhaust shield and skid plate.  Most aftermarket covers are essentially the same as the factory cover with openings of some sort and are pricey.  If you are interested and want to have a look, my bike is on page 212 of the "Show Your Pig" thread.  Should be able to zoom in on that cover.

Edited by Prairie Rider
  • Like 1

The simple fritz cover could have some plate brazed or welded to it and then you'd really have something custom.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Prairie Rider said:

Here's a better look

image.jpg

I cut out the whole recessed area , top and bottom. The middle , I cut up to the  steel insert , top and bottom.

I've fished mud and grass outta there so far which was pretty tedious.  Thought I'd see if the holes would be sufficient first.  I may still do that Joe - The cover does look good with the slotted recessed area cut out - as if it was meant to be.  And the larger area would make for easier access for sure.