Anyone use this? I want to soak my carb from an 07 xl650r. I know to take off any rubber and plastic, but has anyone used this with good results? I cleaned it with spray cleaners and it's pretty good but still idles a bit erratic and at WOT stumbles a bit. Thanks

Ream the passage above the pilot jet with fine copper wire and solvent

Replace the emulsion tube (AKA needle jet) as they wear out

Replace the orings on the fuel screw and fuel inlet

There should be virtually no reason to 'soak' your carb is there is no evidence of corrosion.....

You just need to replace the worn out parts....

WOT stumble means you are rich at WOT, so you need better exhaust scavanging (stock headers suck big time) or you need to remove any intake impeadances.

There should be virtually no reason to 'soak' your carb is there is no evidence of corrosion.....
WOT stumble means you are rich at WOT, so you need better exhaust scavanging (stock headers suck big time) or you need to remove any intake impeadances.

Thank you

Allow me to give you the whole story. It's an 07 xr650l with only 1200 miles on it. It had bad smelling fuel and wouldn't run when I bought it. I drained the tank and checked the petcock. Added fresh fuel and cleaned the carb. The carb really didn't look too bad, but the float jet was stuck in its bore. I was able to gently remove the jet and clean its bore. The rest looked good so I cleaned all orifices with a spray carb cleaner and reassembled. Before reassembly I did some searching on the web and found that what's called the Dave's mod had been performed on the carb. The smog was also removed from the bike with what appears to be a block off kit according to what I can find on the Internet. The writing on the Jets were 165 and 50 S. The air fuel screw was 3 1/4 turns out From lightly bottomed. It is running a stock header with an FMF Q4 slip on. From what I have read and can see , it looks like the guy did the right mods for this bike. I'm not 100% sure on the jetting though. After reassembly I set the air fuel to 2 1/2 turns out. The bike started fine but needed choke for longer than I thought was normal. It idled erratic and had a bog WOT. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Allow me to give you the whole story. It's an 07 xr650l with only 1200 miles on it. It had bad smelling fuel and wouldn't run when I bought it. I drained the tank and checked the petcock. Added fresh fuel and cleaned the carb. The carb really didn't look too bad, but the float jet was stuck in its bore. I was able to gently remove the jet and clean its bore. The rest looked good so I cleaned all orifices with a spray carb cleaner and reassembled. Before reassembly I did some searching on the web and found that what's called the Dave's mod had been performed on the carb. The smog was also removed from the bike with what appears to be a block off kit according to what I can find on the Internet. The writing on the Jets were 165 and 50 S. The air fuel screw was 3 1/4 turns out From lightly bottomed. It is running a stock header with an FMF Q4 slip on. From what I have read and can see , it looks like the guy did the right mods for this bike. I'm not 100% sure on the jetting though. After reassembly I set the air fuel to 2 1/2 turns out. The bike started fine but needed choke for longer than I thought was normal. It idled erratic and had a bog WOT. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

One more thing, looking at rebuild kits it shows 2 small o rings. I found one and a small washer under the air fuel screw bug not the second one.

Your carb does sound like a canditdate for soaking. 

Use SIMPLE GREEN or PineSol to soak in, for a day or two.

Ideally, you should not use a 'rebuild kit' as they do not use genuine parts, which will cause issues later.

Replace the parts that are worn or damaged only.

Your carb does sound like a canditdate for soaking. 
Use SIMPLE GREEN or PineSol to soak in, for a day or two.
Ideally, you should not use a 'rebuild kit' as they do not use genuine parts, which will cause issues later.
Replace the parts that are worn or damaged only.

Ok

Sorry to be a pain, BUT .... does my jetting seem right to you? 165 and 50 at sea level with Daves carb mods and an FMF Q4 slip on. I currently have it soaking in simple green per your advice and all parts look good. I.E. not worn. I am trying to find out where the other o ring should go that comes in the rebuild kit ( I am not purchasing the kit, just making sure its not missing)

Edited by OGCASHALOT
additions

6 minutes ago, OGCASHALOT said:

Sorry to be a pain, BUT .... does my jetting seem right to you? 165 and 50 at sea level with Daves carb mods and an FMF Q4 slip on. I currently have it soaking in simple green per your advice and all parts look good. I.E. not worn. I am trying to find out where the other o ring should go that comes in the rebuild kit ( I am not purchasing the kit, just making sure its not missing)

It's impossible to visually inspect the needle jet or the orings. Just replace them.

I don't know jetting for that bike anymore, it's been almost 20 years....