Question on removing case bearings

I have a question for the guys that are case bearing pros on the XR's. Any direction on removing these two? The others were a typical heat gun and drop... But not so much here.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc17f9c9bc096035314cd126036e2462.jpeg

I use a BBQ. I like doing it that way because a. ) you don't smoke up your apartment and b.) if the bearings are still being stubborn you can tap them lightly with a punch and they'll drop out.

Edit: actually I didn't see your photo and didn't notice the bearing can't be tapped out. The BBQ heat will still allow it to drop out though.

In all of the engines I have built I never replaced the two bearings you are showing. One is the outer shell for the left transmission main shaft and the other small needle bearing is for the shift drum. Really? You think that needs replacing??? NOT

• Like 1

Hydraulic it out.

Turn a hardwood dowel down to just fit inside the rollers.

Heat case and quickly shrink bearing with ice.

Fill hole with grease, smack dowel into hole.

Make sure the area your hitting on is supported with a hardwood block.

Or, simply take it to a shop and have 5hem remove and replace the bearing correctly.

You can damage the case if you press those bearings in uneven.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcma111 said:

In all of the engines I have built I never replaced the two bearings you are showing. One is the outer shell for the left transmission main shaft and the other small needle bearing is for the shift drum. Really? You think that needs replacing??? NOT

Lmao... I just wanted to pull them so I could clean the cases without worrying about them. 

I bead blast cases. I get a bunch of 6mm bolts and put them in all of the bolt holes. For the bigger holes I wad up paper towel and stuff the hole. Same goes for these two bearings. I then air blast the media material off then wash the cases with soap 'n water. Blast all of the holes with air. and then I paint the cases. If you just want clean OE cases I use Aluminium Brightener that I get at Napa Auto supply. It is like mag wheel cleaner. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR1458

Edited by mcma111
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, bork said:

After this is used, does the aluminum need to be clear coated or sealed to maintain brightness? Or will it oxidize quickly to dull?

I ran by Napa last night and grabbed some. I didn't have the guts to leave it on too long. I maybe had it on for 5 minutes or so. I'm wondering if I leave it on for 20 minutes or so if we might see more intense results.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54image.thumb.jpeg.ff937fd25d9b87c7e62335a86b5be936.jpeg

Edited by Tmosely1

32 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

It looks grey , not silver.

I agree..I'm waiting on mcma to see how long he leaves it on. I may soak it in kerosene. I have had good luck with that in the past. This was a 96 engine after a 3 day submerge in kerosene.

image.thumb.jpeg.cd87f0157d4815d9b90b60abc3a81ec9.jpeg

Edited by Tmosely1

I use it to clean the cases and give the paint some TOOTH.