2007 crf450r transmission swap with 2008 crf450r?

IMG_1001.JPG.a85dd825f2107da0ce3610eadaae78e2.JPGi have my 2007 crf450r tore down completely, it was not shifting past third and i ordered this 2008 complete tranny off ebay. just noticed the end gear on one shaft looks different, shift drum is def not gonna work but i hadnt tried any of it yet just wondering if anyone has experience with tranny parts interchangingIMG_1000.JPG.9daeb07ad6ebcaf45eae6ad99b6a8686.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

Edited by hossenator

Right crankcase is same part number. Left is different but it's gonna be due to the shift sensor.

I would assemble it with 08 drum and shift forks unless the forks are the same part numbers between 07 & 08. You can check on partzilla's part finder.

Edited by HRC27

the drums are different, im gonna have to use the o7 drum cause the 08 has the notch on the left crankcase side for the shifting sensor i guess. the shift pattern is identical tho. 

IMG_1002.JPG

3 hours ago, hossenator said:

the drums are different, im gonna have to use the o7 drum cause the 08 has the notch on the left crankcase side for the shifting sensor i guess. the shift pattern is identical tho. 

IMG_1002.JPG

Oh ok, I was only thinking because It was mated to the 08 gearpack. I had no Idea why they were different. ;)

i cross referenced the parts and they fit. i used southernhonda.com  the gearbox was listed to fit my bike on ebay but thats not saying much. i appreciate the input and im gonna test it soon as the engine cases are together before i go any further. i say they cross reference basically everything but the shift drum. 

• Like 2

your 07 gear set looks fine,

don't see the reason it wouldn't shift

but you want to check for

bent shift forks

dings in the shift drum tracks

worn bushings on the non splined gears.

infact I would buy new shift forks,

new shift drum if you find any flaws

and new bushings.

well the cogs were worn in my 07 transmission and felt worn out, buying a complete used one out of a trail rider was just a cheaper option than replacing what i would have , ive got it together and it shifts smooth, i used everything out of the 08 i bought off ebay except the shift drum. new thrust washers. this is my first 4 stroke build or really any dirt bike bottom end but im a heavy machinery tech haha this is very tedious to me.  i do appreciate the input tho and all the thrust washers were worn in the 07 i seen some rounding on the cogs

• Like 1

its going together nicely, right until i got to the cylinder. this bike setup for a few yrs in my shop and i thought that it was just residue on top of the piston that made the marks in the cylinder, its looking much worst tho i havent honed it and i hear you shouldnt really hone it much over 2 grand deep at this point. should i hone and run it til it pops or new jug? groves are a few thousands deep. new wiseco piston and rings 

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

whelp i was hoping to ride tommorrow, this is plating coming off is what im reading. upside is brand new engine when im done i guess

you need a cluch basket pretty bad, you shouldnt have siliconed the center case gasket either, and your cylinder is junk

just wanted to let anyone that was interested know, rebuild went smooth transmission shifts nice. i replaced the cylinder it was scrap actually rebuilt the whole engine over 2500 in parts i wont ever do it again haha. old honda cranks the first kick tho. yall stay safe out there