Looking for a 125 2t

Not too long ago I got a KX85 for my son for his step up bike going off of suggestions by a few guys from here.  It has been an excellent bike with a smooth powerband.  

I'm kind of wanting a cheap 125 now for a play bike for trail riding.  I'd like a 125 with a nice smooth power band like the KX85.  What bikes should I be looking at?  Which ones should I stay away from?  KX125 ?  RM125 ?  Thank you!

Not too long ago I got a KX85 for my son for his step up bike going off of suggestions by a few guys from here.  It has been an excellent bike with a smooth powerband.  
I'm kind of wanting a cheap 125 now for a play bike for trail riding.  I'd like a 125 with a nice smooth power band like the KX85.  What bikes should I be looking at?  Which ones should I stay away from?  KX125 ?  RM125 ?  Thank you!

If you're dead set on either of those 2, condition is everything since they have been discontinued for a decade.
Personally, if I was in the market for a tindler, it would be a late model YZ.

Smooth powerband and 125 2 stroke don't go together very well. You can set one up to be that way but they operate best when ridden hard on the pipe. If I were you, I'd look into the kdx200/220 or ktm 200. Both 2 strokes that are woods oriented that have fairly smooth powerbands (Kdx is very smooth, ktm can be tuned to be smooth). Also they have good power but are manageable. If you want to explore 4 stroke options there's that too

I bought 13 ktm 125sx for a play bike and loved it. After 50 hours i wanted a little more power and turned it into a 150. Power on the 125 was good but the 150 is better. 

If your on a budget i would go for the yz125 or find an 09 or newer ktm.

Another option that was already said is the kdx200. 

If you dont mind going old an early 80s air cooled 175 or 200.

I picked up an 84 yamaha IT200 for an extra play bike and was surprised on how well the bike performs.

I have a TE250 so I'm not looking for a KDX200 or a 250.  The TE250 is awesome!  I'm just asking which 125 has the smoothest powerband?   

Does anyone have any idea if the KX125 or RM125 is as smooth as a KX85?  

Please refer back to my original questions.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Yokomo said:

For a long time I thought a 125 was without purpose for a fat old guy like me on the trails. I had a 93 RM125 for a ride or two but offed it quickly. Smooth power is nice to have on any bike but a 125 with good power is not really known to be smooth. You'll also want excellent handling for when the bike is on the pipe. Power without handling equals crash. IMO, the RM is said to be good handling but I can tell you for a fact that the 02+ Honda is excellent handling. This CR125 is only the third one I've actually tried but compared to a '00 YZ125 the CR125 Honda has a significantly wider range of power. The YZ that I rode was essentially not trail ridable due to it peaky power delivery. The 05+ YZ motor is supposed to have fixed this but I still haven't rode this motor. 

My stock 13 yz125 has a very wide usable power spread for a 125. 06 and later really has no peer in the category you are seeking. Depends on how much you want to spend.

• Like 2