What's the cheapest to ride/race? 2st vs. 4st

Well I'm going to start off saying that I'm a poor man trying to do a rich man sport, and I've owned old two strokes and old four strokes and I love to ride my bikes anywhere anytime, but I also want to be able to afford to go to the track... my last bike was a 99 yz 125 and I noticed with 2st you spend a lot on too ends and reeds. I currently own a 2006 crf 250r and 4st (especially this model) blow through valves, with that being said I'm looking to find what is the most efficient option which unfortunately comes down to the longest unawnsered question in history, which is better 4st or 2st. But in this case which is overall cheaper

• Like 1

If you get a bigger bore 2 stroke (250cc) you'll have to do top ends less often. Even less if u only ride/don't beat on your bike. On a budget I'd say 2 stroke unless u can do rebuilds on a four stroke yourself but even then they're still expensive. 2 stroke anybody with a little knowledge can work on.

I'd figure that a 4 stroke top end would last longer but it's more expensive and catastrophic failures cost much more. In your case a 2 stroke sounds best. It may go through a lot of pistons but I'd rather spent 1 hour of labor every 20riding hours and $100-150 than 3-4 hours of labor every 50 riding hours and $600 (these are just estimates). Plus 4 strokes have more parts that can fail whereas 2 strokes there's a limited number of moving parts that can fail

A YZ250 top-end will last, under moderate off-road loads, around 100 hours. A crank will last ~300 hours, when you might have to replate the cylinder. Big KTM 2 strokes will last about as long.

The last 4 stroke I owned was an XR600, for that same reason...

• Like 1

The honest answer is they are both expensive.  My advice would be to stick with honda or yamaha, their parts seem to be reasonably priced.  For instance my friends 03 rm250 (2 stroke) oem crankshaft cost over 500 dollars, that's more than 2x as much as my crf450r crankshaft.

3 minutes ago, 96motorhead said:

The honest answer is they are both expensive.  My advice would be to stick with honda or yamaha , their parts seem to be reasonably priced.  For instance my friends 03 rm250 (2 stroke) oem crankshaft cost over 500 dollars, that's more than 2x as much as my crf450r crankshaft.

+1 .... Honda parts are CHEAP compared to even Yamaha. 

I feel like the two stroke wold definitely be cheaper when working on but like gas for a 2 st is almost like buying liquid gold however my crf already burns through motor oil like crazy so it's almost even either way

2 hours ago, braapktmbraap said:

Well I'm going to start off saying that I'm a poor man trying to do a rich man sport, and I've owned old two strokes and old four strokes and I love to ride my bikes anywhere anytime, but I also want to be able to afford to go to the track... my last bike was a 99 yz 125 and I noticed with 2st you spend a lot on too ends and reeds. I currently own a 2006 crf 250r and 4st (especially this model) blow through valves, with that being said I'm looking to find what is the most efficient option which unfortunately comes down to the longest unawnsered question in history, which is better 4st or 2st. But in this case which is overall cheaper

got a million of these threads.. 2 vs 4 hmm.. get one of both.. or 2 stroke.. or 4 stroke..If I'd have to have 1?.. 2 stroke.. but of course we can get both.. plus an electric bike ..and a bicycle..and a moped.. and.....

• Like 1

The newest possible Japanese 250 2t, which means a YZ by default. Or, an XR 400, unless your man enough for an XR 600/650.

2 stroke 250 or 500 is basically cheapest.450 4t can be Ok to run price wise if you know how to do the maintenance and you don't grenade the thing.especially if you use the midrange to chug around.special attention to keeping a clean properly oiled filter and fresh oil. Mx 250 4 strokes killed me to own. Bleh.

A very 2T biased friend did up a spreadsheet to compare theoretical costs between 2t and 4t.  It did not come out in favor of the 2t as he expected.  Expect overall maintenance and operating costs to be similar unless something catastrophic happens.  You're exposure to possible big expenditures is higher on the 4t.   I still think they are more reliable than some folks will lead you to believe.

I have one of each.  I think I'm faster on the 4t

A very 2T biased friend did up a spreadsheet to compare theoretical costs between 2t and 4t.  It did not come out in favor of the 2t as he expected.  Expect overall maintenance and operating costs to be similar unless something catastrophic happens.  You're exposure to possible big expenditures is higher on the 4t.   I still think they are more reliable than some folks will lead you to believe.
I have one of each.  I think I'm faster on the 4t

When buying new, probably the same for the first 100 hours or so.
Buying a 4 year old one? I'll put down money that the 2t will be cheaper to maintain / bring up to snuff. People can't give older four strokes away, especially 250's
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, jamracing said:

When buying new, probably the same for the first 100 hours or so.
Buying a 4 year old one? I'll put down money that the 2t will be cheaper to maintain / bring up to snuff. People can't give older four strokes away, especially 250's

No one wants mx 450s too even not that old ones..

2 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

This question is far from unanswered. Anymore who was racing when 4 strokes were play bike and a little common sense knows 2 strokes are cheaper.

The two stroke has basically become the play bike now - but that's OK. 

• Like 1