Head bolts, torque, and lack of compression - KTM 150 Xc

Today I blew/ lost a head screw on my new-to-me KTM 150 XC two stroke. The bike runs, no odd noises, but lacks compression. My friend and I ran a compression test after the ride. It read around 100-95 pounds. However, when my friend and I did this test, we did not replace to screws or torque them to spec, as one head bolt was lost. Could our reading be off? The P/O claimed a new top end... 

Thanks! 

Edited by frozenpepper70

If the engine ran hot missing a cylinder head nut,

not being torqued evenly there's a chance the mating surfaces are now warped.

Make sure you take your compression readings holding the throttle wide open as you crank.

Edited by mlatour

11 minutes ago, mlatour said:

If the engine ran hot missing a cylinder head nut,

not being torqued evenly there's a chance the mating surfaces are now warped.

Make sure you take your compression readings holding the throttle wide open as you crank.

...probably more than just a 'chance'........

IMG_20170430_185145.jpg
I pulled the head off today... This is what I found. The cylinder looks rough​ and in need of replacement. However, the seating of the head seamed okay. The red circle shows the area where the bolt was lost and not torqued properly.

It has to be measured for flatness, you won't see any warpage of the head or cylinder by eye.

As an example, the specs for a late model YZ125 is: less than 0.03mm / 0.0012" allowed

"seemed ok" and "looked fine" is the usual words used when people write about their just rebuild engine

that blows up / failed soon after because they cut corners on checking things.

Edited by mlatour

It has to be measured for flatness, you won't see any warpage of the head or cylinder by eye.
As an example, the specs for a late model YZ125 is: less than 0.03mm / 0.0012" allowed

"seemed ok" and "looked fine" is the usual words used when people write about their just rebuild engine
that blows up / failed soon after because they cut corners on checking things.

Thanks mlatour, I am very new to 2 stroke engines. I appreciate your patience and response.

Everything is back together, and the bike runs well. I checked the cylinder for flatness and found no warpage. The bike burns true (no coolant burned) and tears.

• Like 2