Throttle stuck open today, what is the fix?

Very scary moment today and I don't want that to happen again.  Is there a common failure here?  I came back to pits immediately and didn't see anything real wrong.  There is about 1/8" in/out play in the cable housing where it goes into the carb, not sure if that's normal.  Cable routing is fine and I'm not seeing any issues at the throttle tube but I haven't taken it apart.  Rode the rest of the day and it was fine.  Bike is a 2014 250xc

Edited by SilentAssassin II

Inspect throttle cable routing and pinch. Take the carb out and check the cable end in the carb, there is a plastic spacer in there that has a keyway. Check the spring for kinks and binding. Check the hand throttle internals for cracking/wear/sand ext.  Check the carb internals for burrs or gumming. 

I will look at everything tomorrow.  I did some searching, seems this happens alot.

Can anyone say if there should be any movement in cable housing at the carb end?  Mine has about 1/8" movement if you move by hand.

It happened at the end of a section of whoops, I say that because I've seen others say the same thing.  I think I might try a stiffer slide spring too.  Hope I find something..

There is a recall on the housing.
Make sure you have the updated top piece that has a step cast in where the guide wheel sets.
With out it the cable can drop down and get caught under the pulley.
Yours might have been an early 14.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/04/23/manufacturers/ktm/2013-ktm-two-stroke-off-road-models-recalled-for-throttle-defect/

Running a throttle with that much slack in the cable with the stock recalled housing is is not good.

As you close the throttle and feel the slide bottom, if there's any slack in the throttle as you continue to roll it closed from that point, you should adjust it out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SilentAssassin II said:

Is the motion pro cable any better than the 14+?  I've read alot of topics where they replace with that cable and the problem still happens.

If someone has a stuck throttle with the stock throttle cable and the Motion Pro, it's not the cable that's the problem....it the installation. Most guys don't pay enough attention to ensuring that the cable is inserted correctly into the top of the carb. If the tip of the cable is not completely inserted into the cable holder with the plastic ring seated into the slot with the small peg into the notch, it will pop out causing a WFO situation. I always shine a bright light on the carburetor slide, wearing magnifying glasses to ensure that the cable is inserted, fully into the cable holder. I have never had a stuck throttle as a result.

• Like 1