Beginner biker, 250 2 stroke

I'm 17 and for my age I'm not tall, I weight close to 140, I'm about 5'6", I found a good deal on a Suzuki 250 2 stroke 1995, will it be to much, too powerful?

Being too powerful is relative.  It really boils down to how good you are at throttle control and how much your throttle hand listens to your brain ~ really.  If you take it easy for the first few months then you will most likely be totally fine.

My bigger concern is that it's a 1995, which means that it's 22 years old...  So what's the condition of the bike?  Keep in mind that older bikes cost just as much to repair as new bikes.  So if the cylinder needs to be replated, it'll be roughly $250 (tax and shipping) no matter if it's a '95 or 2008 (the last year for the RM250).  Tires, chains, air filters, you get the idea. 

If I were you, unless that bike is in "great" condition I'd save my money and buy something newer.  Any RM250 2001 or newer would be better.  The aftermarket still supports that generation, the '93 thru '95 RM250's never got a lot of love from the aftermarket.

Just wondering though, exactly where and how do you plan on riding this bike?

• Like 1

Thanks for answering, I would like to do trails, and then me and a couple buddy's will take it to the dirt tracks this summer. My biggest concern is the size, I don't think my legs are long enough to get a food on the ground

By "beginner biker", do you mean you've not ridden a motorbike before at all?  If that's the case I wouldn't recommend an RM250, they are a bit of a handful for beginners in my experience. 

• Like 1

That's a big bike.  If you're gonna go old school 2 stroke, then a 125 might be more your speed.  Also, as someone who owns 2 1990 RMX 250s, I'd go for something newer.  Minimal aftermarket parts and they often cost a lot more due to age.   

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, wackjocky said:

Thanks for answering, I would like to do trails, and then me and a couple buddy's will take it to the dirt tracks this summer. My biggest concern is the size, I don't think my legs are long enough to get a foot on the ground

At 5'6", nope you will not be able to flat foot that bike, much less just about any bike.  I'm 5'7" and just accept that fact and have learned to deal with it. 

Personally I would consider saving some more and getting a newer bike, and at 140 pounds you could be more happy on a 125.  And really when buying used you always want to get the newest bike that you can that's still in good shape.  In this case, without knowing all the details about where your going to be riding, I would seriously shoot for a 125 that's 2001 or newer.  If that '95 RM250 is in great shape, needs nothing, and is selling for well under $1,000 then "maybe". 

If you have never ridden before I would look for a used crf230f. You may outgrow it in a year or two, but if you buy it used and don't destroy it you can flip it for almost no loss. It will fit you a lot better than a 125/250 2-st. Suspension will eventually become limiting, but then you can sell it and move up to a bigger bike.

• Like 1