Stupid question on Hot Rod Water Pump Kit

Is there an extra middle seal in the kit or am I missing something?

There is the ceramic 2 peice seal and a normal oil lip seal on the the pump shaft , one seals the hot coolant the other seals the oil , that's how a person can tell which seal goes out , oil or coolant comes out the weep hole .

Yep.  I have those seals accounted for but in the attached pic, I have the center seal (the one between the bearings and the pressed in seal) installed and I still have another seal laying to the side.  It is identical to the seal under the bearings.  I saw one review of the Hot Rod kit which said there was a spare seal but the person did not say which one.

Thoughts?

waterpumpseal.jpg

There is only 1 rubber lip seal used in a DRZ water pump.  Are the 2 seals the same size? If so, one is an extra.  If different sizes, use the one that fits.

Yep.   Same exact seals.  Must be an extra.

Would the extra lip seal fit in place of the carbon face mechanical seal?  Without some repair instructions it is only a wild guess as possibly a repair option.  KTMs for example use 2 rubber lip seals and no carbon face mechanical seal in the 350 4 strokes.  The 2 strokes use 1 double lip seal that works the same as 2 seals.  The down fall is the coolant seal needs fairly frequent replacement where as a carbon face seal will last nearly forever.