Issue starting a KTM sxf 450 2015

Hi guys,

So yesterday I finally took the plunge and brought my first 4 stroke. After being shown by the dealer the start up procedure (quick press of the button until the FI pump stopped making a sound, then fire it up) I took it straight to the practice track. Absolutely loved it! The bike performed amazingly and started no problem.

I took the bike back and gave it a really good clean. Once finished I started the bike again to get the excess water off. So far so good.

Today I tried to start it, and it tried to start but didnt fire up. I did as the dealer told me, choke pulled out, quick fire of the button, wait 5 seconds then try again. The bike sounded like it was trying to start but didn't fire. I panicked and tried again several times, at which point the battery died.

I'm a real 4 stroke noob, so I'm hoping that someone can tell me what I've done wrong, or give me some tips on how to start theses 4 strokes. After deliberating switching to 4 strokes for months, and spending several thousand pounds on a bike, I hope I haven't tottally buggered it already!

I would check all connectors for water , when you say a real good clean do mean jet washing with tank off?

• Like 1

Weird my 15 ktm250sxf never has any issues after pressure washing. But I try to stay away from electrical parts and I always cover my air box holes. Also after the wash I take my air compressor and blow all the water then start the bike warm it up for 5min and ride it up and down. I would check your connections and battery.

• Like 1

No I didn't take the tank off, but Jet washed every nook and cranny I could see. Iv never had a bike with so many electrical components, so I'm worried iv damaged something. I have taken the battery out to charge it, and I'm going to check all visible connections today, along with the spark plug. I will keep you updated today

• Like 1

Ok so I charged the battery, and the bike fired up first time. Maybe the charge was not sufficient to turn the engine fully, I don't know. Is it worth keeping a spare battery just in case? I would hate to have a race day ruined because of something silly like that. Also do you guys have any tips while pressure washing the bikes to avoid any potential damage ?

Thanks

Just stay clear of the electrics and get a li batt , no problems should be happening if you do that

• Like 1

When I got my 15 ktm250sxf the first ride the battery would die on me and I ride for 3 hours far from my car. So the first upgrade I did was buy a Shorai lithium ion battery. Best upgrade I did, iv never had any battery issues after buying that battery. My friend has had the same battery for 4+ years and never charged it once. His bike is a 07 ktm450exc.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have started the bike several times since and all appears fine. I'm just very nervous of breaking my new toy, and as I have no idea how these modern 4 strokes actually work, it would be a costly error! Can't deny it's easier to ride than my 250 2 stroke though, the torque is just unreal!

• Like 1

I went to the lithium battery (WPS) both my 4t bikes fire quicker. I also keep the bike topped off with a battery tender. Using a battery tender will extend the life of the battery. My 450 also has to be completely warmed up before I ride. If the bike is stopped before it completely warms up I have to pull the hot start to get it to fire off again.