Taking bike out of storage

I've got a yz250f that I've had sittin in my shed for about 2 maybe even 3 years now and I want to take it out and get it running again. Anything I should do? Not sure if gas was left in it (hopefully not) but are all the seals and everything gojng to be shot? 

Thanks for any advice 

Ohh, I wish I had that problem. .

I would:

-remove and inspect, clean carb really well, maybe by a rebuild kit for it

-remove all gas out of tank, fuel lines, carb

-drain oil, replace oil filter, replace oil

- new spark plug

- remove and inspect air filter, clean

Then see if she fires up.

21 minutes ago, TPA-MX said:

Ohh, I wish I had that problem. emoji6.png.

I would:

-remove and inspect, clean carb really well, maybe by a rebuild kit for it

-remove all gas out of tank, fuel lines, carb

-drain oil, replace oil filter , replace oil

- new spark plug

- remove and inspect air filter, clean

Then see if she fires up.

life got too busy for me to ride it and I didn't want to sell it. But atleast I'm getting it back out now!

Oil filters which to use? I see many different options k&n, hiflow, is there a certain one I should use? When I got the bike I changed the oil and the previous owner gave me a filter but I can't rember the brand.

Personally, I don't look at brand for oil filters. I look at them as a commodity item, I probably change them more than I should, so I look for the tusk brand on RMATVMC.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TPA-MX said:

Personally, I don't look at brand for oil filters. I look at them as a commodity item, I probably change them more than I should, so I look for the tusk brand on RMATVMC.

Thanks! Wasn't sure if the oil filter needed to be a oem brand one or anything. I know like for my old ford 6liter if you didn't use factory filters the aftermarket ones don't work As well and can actually cause issues, so just wanted to double check.

Well I got the oil and filter today. Have to head to work soon so I'll have to change the oil tommorow. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that my air box is 100% filled with mice/ mice Nestings so I'll have to decide how to deal with that and hope they didn't cause too much damage 

OP, does your region see below freezing ambiant temps ?

If so, hopefully the cooling system was either stored dry or, with sufficient antifreeze concentration.

I'd replace all fluids: coolant (turns acidic), brake fluid (absorbs moisture)

inspect the air filter for rodent damage

and inspect & clean out EVERYTHING fuel related: tank, petcock assy, fuel line, carb.

The shock's nitrogen charge has also likely migrated thru the bladder (happens on any bike with time)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mlatour said:

OP, does your region see below freezing ambiant temps ?

If so, hopefully the cooling system was either stored dry or, with sufficient antifreeze concentration.

I'd replace all fluids: coolant (turns acidic), brake fluid (absorbs moisture)

inspect the air filter for rodent damage

and inspect & clean out EVERYTHING fuel related: tank, petcock assy, fuel line, carb.

The shock's nitrogen charge has also likely migrated thru the bladder (happens on any bike with time)

Temp gets below freezing (New England) I know there was anti freeze in the coolant tank so hopefully that's fine.

plan on changing all the fluidids

Nice got into the airbox and made a big old nest, but I think that's as far as they got. 

Gotta find out how to clean the tank and get the carb out 

2 hours ago, TPA-MX said:

To remove carb, remove tank, remove sub frame, rear shock, carb should then slide out the rear.

I tried taking the carb off a few years ago and couldn't get it, ended up having to being it to the dealer. I gotta find like a step by step video/instructions before I give it a go. Wish it was easy like a 2 stroke and just came right out 

2 hours ago, Drewster2020 said:

I tried taking the carb off a few years ago and couldn't get it, ended up having to being it to the dealer. I gotta find like a step by step video/instructions before I give it a go. Wish it was easy like a 2 stroke and just came right out 

take a look at this one....its not exact and old, but it gives you a sense of what to do.   

I'd just drain the carb and through the float bowl plug take out the main and pilot jets and clean them in carb cleaner.

With fresh gas it will prolly fire right up.

If you turn the carb a bit sideways it's easy.

New air filter as well. I bet it turns to powder if you try and remove it.
Guaranteed the pilot jet is plugged solid, replace it, don't even try to clean it.
I know someone is gonna say "just get a really small drill bit and drill it" but trust me, spend a few bucks and buy a new one.
Sounds as if you might be a little lacking in the mechanics area so I'd suggest just taking it to a reputable shop and let them handle it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lhc450 said:

New air filter as well. I bet it turns to powder if you try and remove it.
Guaranteed the pilot jet is plugged solid, replace it, don't even try to clean it.
I know someone is gonna say "just get a really small drill bit and drill it" but trust me, spend a few bucks and buy a new one.
Sounds as if you might be a little lacking in the mechanics area so I'd suggest just taking it to a reputable shop and let them handle it.

Won't take it to a shop after my last experience. I have no problems turning a wrench... I do it on million dollar tools all day long, air filter actually wasn't chewed up, me I'd realce the jet before I even thought about drilling it out. 

55 minutes ago, beezer said:

I'd just drain the carb and through the float bowl plug take out the main and pilot jets and clean them in carb cleaner.

With fresh gas it will prolly fire right up.

If you turn the carb a bit sideways it's easy.

I think ( not extremely sure) I shut the gas off and let it run out before I put it away. But I'll try and see if I can get it running with fresh gas, I was planing on doing the carb anyways 

Ya, shops can bend you over in a hurry.

No offense man I was just thinking that if pulling the carb off the bike wasn't a simple task for ya, breaking down an FCR probably would be a little out of your wheel house.

Hope you get her purring like a kitten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lhc450 said:

Ya, shops can bend you over in a hurry.

No offense man I was just thinking that if pulling the carb off the bike wasn't a simple task for ya, breaking down an FCR probably would be a little out of your wheel house.

Hope you get her purring like a kitten.

I understand. No offense taken.. I can get it off no problem but before I go pulling stuff apart I like to know how to do it 

Drained the old gas out of the tank, changed the oil. threw some fresh gas in. Cheated a little bit and used a squirt of starter fluid but it fired up, idles fine. Took it out for a few rips down the street. Runs good!

• Like 1