thoughts on 20mm triple clamps on new generation

Thinking about getting a new yz250f.    When I rode one last year at the ride day it felt like it needed some nimble help.   Anyone try 20mm clamps?  And what's the stock offset on 2017 yz250f's?

I don't know what is on the YZ250F these days, but the YZ250FX has 20mm triple clamps.  

Remember that the trail is set by the triple clamp, fork tube diameter, axle clamp and axle diameter.

1 hour ago, ckny said:

Doesn't really help to answer the question. I can only comment on a YZ250. I ran 22mm RG3's and loved them after I adjusted sag and suspension settings. It took some work to dial the bike in. 

really? how does educating someone not help?  most people are very confused about the effects of changing the triple clamp offset, do you know what it does?  the reason i ask is because your particular preference for the STOCK 22mm offset means nothing in the context of this thread, other than to proclaim you like your aftermarket triple clamp, but only after you adjusted other things not even related to 20mm offset triple, and on a completely different bike.  so why did you even comment, let alone criticize someone else trying to help?

On 4/30/2017 at 1:32 PM, zziptie said:

Thinking about getting a new yz250f.    When I rode one last year at the ride day it felt like it needed some nimble help.   Anyone try 20mm clamps?  And what's the stock offset on 2017 yz250f's?

stock is 22mm

13 minutes ago, DRS said:

really? how does educating someone not help?  most people are very confused about the effects of changing the triple clamp offset, do you know what it does?  the reason i ask is because your particular preference for the STOCK 22mm offset means nothing in the context of this thread, other than to proclaim you like your aftermarket triple clamp, but only after you adjusted other things not even related to 20mm offset triple, and on a completely different bike.  so why did you even comment, let alone criticize someone else trying to help?

Relax before you go off the deep end. Firstly the OP is asking if anyone has tried 20mm clamps on a new gen YZ250F, second he is asking if anyone knows the stock offset on the 2017.

While your post is helpful, it does not answer the question. Nobody has answered it yet.

Also, I made a comment about aftermarket 22mm clamps on a YZ250 2 stroke replacing the stock 25mm offset. I made it clear my answer did not help to answer his question but threw in some anectodal experience. If you had some experience with changing offsets on certain Yamaha machines you would realize that it's not just an install and forget mod. Other changes are normally required to your suspension to get it to behave nicely. Understand? 

If you think changing your triple offset and making changes to your suspension are unrelated than I doubt I can help you with that. 

Try actually reading a post before you go off all bent and upset about what someone said about your post. 

Edited by ckny

50 minutes ago, ckny said:

Relax before you go off the deep end. Firstly the OP is asking if anyone has tried 20mm clamps on a new gen YZ250F, second he is asking if anyone knows the stock offset on the 2017.

While your post is helpful, it does not answer the question. Nobody has answered it yet.

Also, I made a comment about aftermarket 22mm clamps on a YZ250 2 stroke replacing the stock 25mm offset. I made it clear my answer did not help to answer his question but threw in some anectodal experience. If you had some experience with changing offsets on certain Yamaha machines you would realize that it's not just an install and forget mod. Other changes are normally required to your suspension to get it to behave nicely. Understand? 

If you think changing your triple offset and making changes to your suspension are unrelated than I doubt I can help you with that. 

Try actually reading a post before you go off all bent and upset about what someone said about your post. 

i answered his question in my first post, my second post, and i'll do it again in this one. the stock offset is 22.    the reason i posted those links is that it's VERY important to understand what changing the offset does, otherwise you do not know how to compensate with other suspension changes, and you are just guessing.

19 minutes ago, DRS said:

i answered his question in my first post, my second post, and i'll do it again in this one. the stock offset is 22.    the reason i posted those links is that it's VERY important to understand what changing the offset does, otherwise you do not know how to compensate with other suspension changes, and you are just guessing.

Fair enough. It is very important.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:43 PM, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

the YZ250FX has 20mm triple clamps.  

are you sure about that? it think stock might be 22mm from what i've read a few gncc/enduro guys doing for mods

Stock on thr 250f is 22mm, ive tried many offsets and I found it worse with 20mm ive also tried the 25mm off the yzf 450, wich i did like but end of day i found the best ones where 23.5 from ride engineering

• Like 2

On 2017-05-03 at 7:54 PM, holland711 said:

Stock on thr 250f is 22mm, ive tried many offsets and I found it worse with 20mm ive also tried the 25mm off the yzf 450, wich i did like but end of day i found the best ones where 23.5 from ride engineering

What kind of riding are you doing? If it's mx track, the 23.5 or more may be better than a 20 which should be better in tighter single track/woods riding/racing.