KTM rear wheel bearings and spacers

Is it possible to replace bearings and spacers in a earlier model KTM rear hub that used a smaller rear axel with new bearings and spacers that fit the new larger rear axel?

I have a spare rear wheel from my previous bike - 2012 XC-W 500 that I would like to use on my new 2017 XC 300 that I bought back in March.

Thanks for any insight that you may provide.

It might be easier to swap hubs as you may need to remove the hub anyway to machine for bigger bearing races for the bigger axle. Break out a dial mic and take some measurements. Tell us what your find! Bearings are fairly standard as they are all in MM sizing. so you COULD find a custom bearing to fit your hub machined...Maybe.

Edited by theBIGnaud

Keep us posted on what you find. I have a spare rear wheel for my 2010 and am thinking about getting a new bike after a while. So I was wondering the same thing.

According to the parts phisch I looked at they both take the same bearings.  6005

• Like 1

According to the parts phisch I looked at they both take the same bearings.  6005

Brilliant!

I thought about looking the parts phisch up, but for some reason I thought I had heard that the bearing were different.

That will be really easy then. Pop out the old spacers and put in the new spacers. I had recently replaced the bearings in my spare wheel, so that is great that I shouldn't need to change them out.

I'll double check the parts phisch on RMATV, but will probably order some spacers and give it a go. They aren't to expensive anyway.

Thanks Zilla

38 minutes ago, farmboybunk said:

Brilliant!

I thought about looking the parts phisch up, but for some reason I thought I had heard that the bearing were different.

That will be really easy then. Pop out the old spacers and put in the new spacers. I had recently replaced the bearings in my spare wheel , so that is great that I shouldn't need to change them out.

I'll double check the parts phisch on RMATV, but will probably order some spacers and give it a go. They aren't to expensive anyway.

Thanks Zilla emoji106.png

Good news! Great follow up guys!

all rear wheels will interchange from 92 ish to 2017. other than the way the hub looks, the only difference from a 20mm axle setup to a 25mm axle setup is the wheel collars. everything internal is the same.

I have 3 ktms, a 99 300 mxc( small axle} 2013.5 sxf, 2015.5 sxf, which have the big axle. I have a spare 18" rear wheel for the sx bikes for when I race in woods. if I wanted to install on the 99 I would simply use the smaller wheel collars.

look at skf for a rear hub bearing overhaul kit. they have really nice dust seals. like a 2 part deal.

• Like 2

Thanks Byron,
I figured someone out there had experience with swapping the smaller and larger diameter axels on KTM wheels.
Thanks for sharing your insight

No sweat, hope it helps you out.

Here is a quick comparison to show you how you simply change collars to go from small to big axles. 

Basically the bearing id/ center tube is 25mm/ larger axle. So the 20mm collars fit into the bearings. The 25mm axle collars just butt up against. 

First pic shows hub without outer collar. 

2nd pic shows the small axle collar on left, and big on right. 

The exeption to this is i think from msr, or pivot works you can buy a upgrade rear hub bearing kit. It is only made for the small axle, and comes with a new center tube, which has a id of 20mm, not 25mm like the oem and most aftermarket stuff. 

Its a nice setup though. 

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Edited by Byron909
  • Like 2