need help - top noise

hi, I just bought an 05 TE 250 with the Athena 300cc kit - it was blown up, I bought a new Athena 300cc kit and installed it, the crank is tight with no play at all, valves are within specs, timing is spot on, I put it together and It started right up and runs great BUT it has a loud ticking noise coming from the top end, specifically the cam on the right side. that's where the decompression equipment is, it very loud and has me nervous. Is this a known problem with the model? I see the decompression stuff on the exhaust cam and when I move it with my finger it makes the same sound but i'm not sure if that's it

I took the top end off last night and found the exhaust valves were just barely hitting the piston, I don't know why, the timing is perfect and the valve clearance is .007 - 008 which is right in spec. any advice is appreciated

On 03/05/2017 at 0:12 AM, Bull183 said:

I took the top end off last night and found the exhaust valves were just barely hitting the piston, I don't know why, the timing is perfect and the valve clearance is .007 - 008 which is right in spec. any advice is appreciated

Does the ticking go away when engine reaches operating temp?Does it sound like this 

I didn't run it long enough to find out, it was really loud, I didn't want to do any damage.

Edited by Bull183
entered wrong info

It is really loud have you checked the water pump impeler,it could be cam chain,or cam chain tensioner.

I checked the water pump, it looks fine with nothing unusual, i ordered a new cam chain and a flywheel remover, i can't take the chain off yet. this is what the piston looked like

piston.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bull183 said:

I checked the water pump , it looks fine with nothing unusual, i ordered a new cam chain and a flywheel remover, i can't take the chain off yet. this is what the piston looked like

piston.jpg

Piston looks perfect if it was a valve hitting it I think it would bent it,

7 minutes ago, supermoto690 said:

Piston looks perfect if it was a valve hitting it I think it would bent it,

see the exhaust valve cutaways on the bottom in the pic, see those half moon wear marks, that's where the valve was hitting

11 minutes ago, Bull183 said:

see the exhaust valve cutaways on the bottom in the pic, see those half moon wear marks, that's where the valve was hitting

Oh damn it is hitting,I think you need to raise the top end bigger gasket maybe?

i was thinking the same, which gasket? i guess it would be the base gasket because the head gasket has a couple layers, this is the Athena 300cc big bore, i can't use the oem gaskets, i see oem has different thicknesses  

13 hours ago, Bull183 said:

i was thinking the same, which gasket? i guess it would be the base gasket because the head gasket has a couple layers, this is the Athena 300cc big bore, i can't use the oem gaskets, i see oem has different thicknesses  

Yep I think the base gasket would fix it,when I bought the 610 the previous owner said that he has put silicone instead of a gasket at the cyl head and the piston was hitting the valves,so my guess is if you put a bigger gasket maybe it can fix it,maybe you should go ask some mechanic if you have someone nearby,..

3 hours ago, supermoto690 said:

Yep I think the base gasket would fix it,when I bought the 610 the previous owner said that he has put silicone instead of a gasket at the cyl head and the piston was hitting the valves,so my guess is if you put a bigger gasket maybe it can fix it,maybe you should go ask some mechanic if you have someone nearby,..

All I can SAY is OMG!   , with he used silicone instead of a head gasket, But your valves, piston ,wrist pin crank bearing, ect  has all been under severe impact stress, at the very least.

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it's fixed, and it's running great. I had the timing wrong, LOL... I was off one tooth on both cams and I think the cam chain was off a little also, it helps to have the service manual, although the timing marks on the cams are really really hard to see.  the new cam chain was on back order so it took a little time to get a new one. I got it back together today and it started right up, runs great. while I was waiting for parts, I cleaned up and lapped the valves, also put new valve seals in. now I'm just going to throw some tires on and try to get out for a ride - thanks for the help

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bull183 said:

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it's fixed, and it's running great. I had the timing wrong, LOL... I was off one tooth on both cams and I think the cam chain was off a little also, it helps to have the service manual, although the timing marks on the cams are really really hard to see.  the new cam chain was on back order so it took a little time to get a new one. I got it back together today and it started right up, runs great. while I was waiting for parts, I cleaned up and lapped the valves, also put new valve seals in. now I'm just going to throw some tires on and try to get out for a ride - thanks for the help

Nice one,enjoy your ride