KLX300 cam go in a specific way?

I recently put as new cylinder and piston in on my bike and I cannot get the bike to start reliably. Out of 20 mins of kicking I was able to get it to start twice. I've tried two different carbs. I've checked valves to be in spec, I've checked spark and gas. The only thing I'm left with is that the auto-decomp cam is not positioned correctly; although when I put the cams in and did the timing chain I lined the links up exactly as per the manual. 

So I'm wondering if there was something with installing that autodecomp cam that I missed? 

There are two cams.  Why do you think it is the exhaust cam....autodecomp cam?  Do the "lines" on the cams line up with the top of the head when the engine is at TDC? 

Ride on

Brewster

On 4/30/2017 at 11:42 PM, brewster said:

There are two cams.  Why do you think it is the exhaust cam....autodecomp cam?  Do the "lines" on the cams line up with the top of the head when the engine is at TDC? 

Ride on

Brewster

Yes they do. I've checked twice as per manual. 

Same problem here. Rebuilt the engine, set up cams as per manual, with all marks as should be - checked, checked and checked again. Did the rotate engine a couple of times to see if the 'T' mark still aligned on the alternator casing (yes, it did) but still won't start. It has a half-arsed attempt at starting if I open the throttle a little, but won't run. Occasinally a big backfire through the carb. This says to me that the ignition timing is out, but it can't be adjusted, can it?

I had fitted a Mikuni TM36 carb, so I put back the original CV carb, but it still won't start. Had the cam cover off and noticed that the marks on the cams now don't quite line up. They are still 32 pins on the chain apart although the exhaust cam seems to be slightly out. If I move the chain to the next tooth it is out the other way. It's like it's half a tooth out. Crazy! Was working great before I stripped it down to replace transmission an countershaft bearings.

Any ideas, anyone?

I'd say count the links. Then line up the front (exhaust) arrow and go from there. Thats how I've always done it. Yes they seemed a little off.

I would say your non start is not this. Do you have compression? Did you check valve clearances? Do you have spark at tdc?