Hey guys,

I'm new to thumper, but I was hoping I could find someone who could help me. HERES THE DEAL! I've been riding 4 strokes for about 7 years now, but the 2T world has recently gotten my attention!  I currently ride a 2006 YZ250F. (Fully rebuilt by myself;). I ride the piss out of it and I feel like it's missing something. I've tried shaking things up like riding different terrain(sand dunes,Rocks,etc.) I thought maybe I would try a 450, I got to ride my buddies CRF450X. lol that bike humbled me. It was way to high and It felt a LOT heavier. I crossed out the 450 bc I think it would be a waste and I wouldn't be able to push the bike to its limits. With that being said I'm trying to decide between (2017 Ktm 150 sx, 2017 Ktm 250sx, and 2017 YZ250 and/or the X model). 

Here's me.. I'm roughly 5'8" 175-185lbs. I lift 5-6 days a week.

I enjoy riding anything and everything as long as I get to ride. 

IMG_3597.JPG

Hmm quite the dilemma. HP wise the KTM 250sx will blow everything else out of the water. As for weight I am not sure but I would guess that 250sx is also prob the lightest and well its been updated essentially every year while the YZ250 has been the same for close to a decade ( besides plastics and small things ). And you do have quite a bit of experience so you would be able to handle the 250's. So if you're riding track it would be between the 250sx and the YZ250. If it was me and I had the extra $ I would prob get the KTM. That brings us to the YZ250X and the 150SX. So it sounds like you do quite a bit of non-track riding. So really the YZ250X would be your best bet, but have you thought of the 250XC and XC-W. Oh the wonders. Lights, electric start, wide ratio trans, etc. So for off-road it would be between the X and the competition, XC and WC-W( if you would consider that ). And then lastly the 150SX which is suposedly a 125 2 stroke with bottom end. This would be an ideal bike for someone relatively new to riding and it would teach them clutch control and really how to wring a bikes neck. But it sounds like you already know how to do it. Soooo decide whether you do mostly track or off road. And then choose KTM or YAMAHA. 

I say go for the 250 2st. I have a 150sx, a 250xcf,  and a 250 xc. The 150s are light and fun but lack botton end power. If your pushing a 250f to the limits it will be the same on a 150 . The new 17 ktms are pretty impressive.  Very smooth motors . I will honestly say the 17 250xc i have is the best bike i ever own. The yz is a good bike too, just a little less refined but cost less. I can say the ktm 2st motors on the 17 have a slight 4st feel. I can ride the 250xcf and the 250xc without any real adjustments.  The 250xc is faster and feels 10-15 lbs lighter than the xcf even though they are roughly the same weight. 

Since your on a yamaha already you may find the yz250 is a better fiit. It may feel more normal and natural to you. The ktms have a different feel compared to the Japanese bikes. It took me a good 50 hours to adjust the ktms when i made the switch. Now they feel normal and the Japanese bikes feel strange. 

Whether you go ktm or yamaha i think you would be very happy with a 250 2st.

My 15yr old is 6ft 2in 185 and he has a 250sx. The 250 2 stroke has a lot of power the 250sx makes 53-54 horse power which I bet is probably atleast as much or more than the Honda 450X. The 2 stroke especially the 250sx has a very aggressive power band and I guarentee is more of a handful to handle than the 450X is. The Yamaha 250x is a great bike my buddy has one he races hare scrambles with and I have rode it several times. My son likes KTM but me personally I would rather have a Yamaha myself. Ktm's are more expensive to buy and parts are more expensive to and I believe Yamaha is just more reliable. If it was me and I was buying a 250 2 stroke it would probably be the Yamaha 250X. If I was going to buy a KTM it would be the 250xc not the 250sx. The 250sx is for motocross only it's not made for trail riding and having fun on.