Project 125 Lectron

Project YZ 125X is coming along.  Installed a Lectron last week.  So far that has really cleaned up the lower end of the power band.  It makes more power down low but the transition is much smoother.  Went up one more tooth to a 52 tooth rear sprocket.  

Now if it will quit storming in the Tennessee mountains!

IMG_1025.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hedgehog said:

Project YZ 125X is coming along.  Installed a Lectron last week.  So far that has really cleaned up the lower end of the power band.  It makes more power down low but the transition is much smoother.  Went up one more tooth to a 52 tooth rear sprocket.  

Now if it will quit storming in the Tennessee mountains!

IMG_1025.JPG

Killer looking bike! I have always wondered just how woods friendly a 125 can be. Make sure you update with how capable it is in the woods. 

• Like 1

A friend who does work for  Lectron gave me a 36mm for my modded 125 that was set up from Lectron. Works ok but not as much mid to top compared to 38mm Mikuni. I'm  not a woods guy but the difference off bottom wasn't that much at all. The Mikuni is a hard carburetor to set up initialy but once set up correctly it's hard to beat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2000YZ250 said:

Killer looking bike! I have always wondered just how woods friendly a 125 can be. Make sure you update with how capable it is in the woods. 

Thanks 2000 YZ250.

This is a work in progress bike.  It started as a budget build but seems to be getting legs.  I wrote a piece on this one for Trail Rider Magazine and it was well received so I kept the build going.

The goal is to keep it as a crisp 125 (no flywheel weights, 18" wheels and heavy chains to numb it) big make it a better woods weapon.  So far that steel frame does not have me longing for the heavy wheel.  It will always be a 125 and pack that extra element of excitement for tight hills with a short approach but that can make it fun too.

I will revalve the suspension and write a piece on this project too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nicko-31 said:

A friend who does work for  Lectron gave me a 36mm for my modded 125 that was set up from Lectron. Works ok but not as much mid to top compared to 38mm Mikuni. I'm  not a woods guy but the difference off bottom wasn't that much at all. The Mikuni is a hard carburetor to set up initialy but once set up correctly it's hard to beat. 

Lectron built a 38 for my build.  I am decent at setting up a Mikuni.  It's really easy for track.  Woods setup and track setup are WAY different.  Then there is tight woods.  The kind that has 2+ mile descents followed by a climb.  The kind where you see second gear on occasion and 3rd every now and then.  The kind where you feel like you have done something after you knock off 20 miles.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Hedgehog said:

Thanks 2000 YZ250.

This is a work in progress bike.  It started as a budget build but seems to be getting legs.  I wrote a piece on this one for Trail Rider Magazine and it was well received so I kept the build going.

The goal is to keep it as a crisp 125 (no flywheel weights, 18" wheels and heavy chains to numb it) big make it a better woods weapon.  So far that steel frame does not have me longing for the heavy wheel.  It will always be a 125 and pack that extra element of excitement for tight hills with a short approach but that can make it fun too.

I will revalve the suspension and write a piece on this project too.

I understand where you're coming from build goal wise. I recently took up harescramble racing, and as my name implies, I have a 2000 YZ250. The whole feel of a steel frame is beautiful. I wanna make the bike more woods friends but without taking away the raw motocross feel. I don't want a flywheel weight or a heavy chain, or anything else to weaken the power. My main goal is to have a smooth but fast YZ and get my suspension done right. I wanna have the bike make me faster. A slower bike is only faster for so long.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2000YZ250 said:

I understand where you're coming from build goal wise. I recently took up harescramble racing, and as my name implies, I have a 2000 YZ250. The whole feel of a steel frame is beautiful. I wanna make the bike more woods friends but without taking away the raw motocross feel. I don't want a flywheel weight or a heavy chain, or anything else to weaken the power. My main goal is to have a smooth but fast YZ and get my suspension done right. I wanna have the bike make me faster. A slower bike is only faster for so long.

I like the feel all the way around.  Even the MX suspension in the woods.  It feels really lite.  I will be revalving it though.  It wears on me during long rides 

Going down the same road.. 2014 yz125 rekluse radius , clake one, desert tank , bark Buster's, tubliss, trailtech vapor , skf mud scrapers, Scott's dampner all the gaurds, 18inch rear wheel.... I weigh 200 so I found the valving is spot on .. way better than KTM 150 we have out of the box... I got a fan to work but with with the desert tank working on making it fit... Just shipped today a Derek Harris 144 cylinder, fatty, shorty silencer, vforce 4 reeds... Can't wait to install. Also have a 36mm lectron... I am not a fan of the flywheel weight and like it to light up...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wwillf01 said:

Going down the same road.. 2014 yz125 rekluse radius , clake one, desert tank , bark Buster's, tubliss , trailtech vapor , skf mud scrapers, Scott's dampner all the gaurds, 18inch rear wheel.... I weigh 200 so I found the valving is spot on .. way better than KTM 150 we have out of the box... I got a fan to work but with with the desert tank working on making it fit... Just shipped today a Derek Harris 144 cylinder, fatty, shorty silencer, vforce 4 reeds... Can't wait to install. Also have a 36mm lectron... I am not a fan of the flywheel weight and like it to light up...

I would love to see this build.  I have been pondering the Rekluse too.  I could see it working if setup right.  

I will take pics currently the rear wheel is off... So here is the deal with the rekluse.. for me the exp disc did not work.... The radius is 20 times better ... But if you are heavier like me you are still clutching in the steep stuff ... Their set up is way off on the exp disc directions wise for single track and then for the radius pretty close but I found the only engagement that works are all red springs.... Part of the issue I am sure is the hp loss I have at 7000... When I go down to 3000 everything gets better... Then getting the clake one hydraulic to work with a rekluse is an entire another challenge... I am waiting for them to send me some new cams so I can get the clutch to totally engage sooner and for my hands I had to bend their lever out to get a more traditional lever bend... or my fingers would pinch with a one finger pull. But man the yz is it light and responsive... In my opinion more nimble and responsive than the 2015 KTM 150 but the yz fits a larger rider better... The KTM has gobbs more low end than the yz in which I am hoping to gain some with the 144... Then of course the suspension on the yz is light years better out of the box... For me the difference is you can tune the KTM for one thing or another... Say high speed desert or low speed tech and it works great... But never for both... The yz I can get working great in both areas with one set up.. I call both bikes skill builders... When I switch to the bigger bikes afterwards your technique is way better ( not so lazy) and way faster.

So I'm curious, why all the objection to a FWW?  I don't have one on my 125, but I don't ride THAT much technical single track.  It seems like you guys are, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't put on at least a little heavier FWW?  You want to "light it up", whip the clutch and pin it, the FWW isn't going to affect that.  But for slick, steep hills with minimal lead-up, you'll be getting much more traction to the ground and have to abuse the clutch less. 

For me it makes the bike feel less exciting... Is it more efficient ... No but at this point I am looking for more fun... I think it's a personal preference... Also if I was lighter maybe it would be an issue but I can keep that tire tracking pretty well[emoji23]

1 minute ago, wwillf01 said:

For me it makes the bike feel less exciting... Is it more efficient ... No but at this point I am looking for more fun... I think it's a personal preference... Also if I was lighter maybe it would be an issue but I can keep that tire tracking pretty wellemoji23.png

+1 to this. Atleast for me I have a 250 so I have some pretty decent bottom end. I just don't wanna mellow out the bike. It keeps it interesting when racing. Plus like you I'm 205lbs so weight on the rear tire isn't a big deal.

Keeps it interesting?  Like all over the place? ?  I have a 250 too, I just put on a 13oz FWW.  Haven't had a chance to test it though due to backordered PV parts, but I think it's going to be much better in the single track.  I have no desire to put a FWW on the 125, I like the fun peppy feel too, and can work the clutch better than most I ride with (duh...I ride a 125).

Just found this interesting " I wanna have the bike make me faster. A slower bike is only faster for so long."  Riding a 125 will definitely make you faster, no doubt there.  BUT...not sure if this is what you meant, once your skill set maxes out the potential of the 125, you'll be looking for other ways to go faster on it.  And efficiency is it.  Things like an 18" wheel and FWW will allow you to go EVEN faster on the same bike.  ESPECIALLY if you've gone through the trouble of putting a RECLUSE ON A 125, blasphemy be damned, I'd choose FWW all day over that.  If you're riding terrain technical enough to warrant a Recluse, I'd surely want a FWW.  The 125 is gutless on the bottom.

All that said, I've never actually ridden a 125 with a FWW.  Maybe that's my conundrum.  

Edited by bcssrmz250
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bcssrmz250 said:

Keeps it interesting?  Like all over the place? ?  I have a 250 too, I just put on a 13oz FWW.  Haven't had a chance to test it though due to backordered PV parts, but I think it's going to be much better in the single track.  I have no desire to put a FWW on the 125, I like the fun peppy feel too, and can work the clutch better than most I ride with (duh...I ride a 125).

Just found this interesting " I wanna have the bike make me faster. A slower bike is only faster for so long."  Riding a 125 will definitely make you faster, no doubt there.  BUT...not sure if this is what you meant, once your skill set maxes out the potential of the 125, you'll be looking for other ways to go faster on it.  And efficiency is it.  Things like an 18" wheel and FWW will allow you to go EVEN faster on the same bike.  ESPECIALLY if you've gone through the trouble of putting a RECLUSE ON A 125, blasphemy be damned, I'd choose FWW all day over that.  If you're riding terrain technical enough to warrant a Recluse, I'd surely want a FWW.  The 125 is gutless on the bottom.

All that said, I've never actually ridden a 125 with a FWW.  Maybe that's my conundrum.  

I just had a race last Sunday on my 250. Plenty of single track and hill climbs. Never was there a time where the bike felt it couldn't lug good enough, or that it was too quick in single track. I feel like there isn't always a need for a FWW. I got a great holeshot that race and I feel with a FWW and other power numbing parts, the holeshot and straights wouldn't have nearly as quick. My bikes a rocket ship and I love that about it. If I wanted to flat easy to tide power I would have bought a 4 stroke. As for the slow bike is only faster for so long comment, I don't think that came across how I meant it. I don't personally own a 125 but have rode a friends many times. After a certain point I just think it's smarter to get a faster bike.

1 minute ago, 2000YZ250 said:

I just had a race last Sunday on my 250. Plenty of single track and hill climbs. Never was there a time where the bike felt it couldn't lug good enough, or that it was too quick in single track. I feel like there isn't always a need for a FWW. I got a great holeshot that race and I feel with a FWW and other power numbing parts, the holeshot and straights wouldn't have nearly as quick. My bikes a rocket ship and I love that about it. If I wanted to flat easy to tide power I would have bought a 4 stroke. As for the slow bike is only faster for so long comment, I don't think that came across how I meant it. I don't personally own a 125 but have rode a friends many times. After a certain point I just think it's smarter to get a faster bike.

That's laughable.  FWW isn't "power numbing", you realize even supercross racers in the 90's and 2000's used FWWs to gain better traction out of turns and clear big jumps?  Through sand, deep loamy conditions, slick rocks and roots, and mud you spin less, make more traction, and have more forward momentum.  Many enduro and harescramble riders use FWWs.  It's not always about lugging, but having manageable power.  I can't ride my 250 all day at 100%, I'm not fit enough.  The FWW ain't going to change that.  It's also a light switch in technical stuff.  Can I do it, SURE, I always have.  It's a challenge that I enjoy.  Will I be faster and smoother for longer with the FWW, probably so.  If I don't like it, I'll just take it off.

I have both bikes, 125 and 250.  I love the 250 because it's hard to hold on to, and little mistakes turn big when you're on the gas.  That makes it fun.  A FWW will not take that away.  Being smooth is the biggest contributor to speed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bcssrmz250 said:

That's laughable.  FWW isn't "power numbing", you realize even supercross racers in the 90's and 2000's used FWWs to gain better traction out of turns and clear big jumps?  Through sand, deep loamy conditions, slick rocks and roots, and mud you spin less, make more traction, and have more forward momentum.  Many enduro and harescramble riders use FWWs.  It's not always about lugging, but having manageable power.  I can't ride my 250 all day at 100%, I'm not fit enough.  The FWW ain't going to change that.  It's also a light switch in technical stuff.  Can I do it, SURE, I always have.  It's a challenge that I enjoy.  Will I be faster and smoother for longer with the FWW, probably so.  If I don't like it, I'll just take it off.

I have both bikes, 125 and 250.  I love the 250 because it's hard to hold on to, and little mistakes turn big when you're on the gas.  That makes it fun.  A FWW will not take that away.  Being smooth is the biggest contributor to speed.

I dont think a FWW is a bad thing for everyone, all I was saying is that I personally don't wish to have one. I completely understand where your coming from and I would most likely be faster with one, I just don't think I would enjoy riding it as much. 

• Like 1

I am not opposed to a FWW. I like them on a 250. In the end it's a lot of preference. I do know if you put a FWW, 18"wheel and o ring chain on a 125 it will numb it. I am just going for a certain feel. I would do an 18" wheel first though!

The Rekluse idea is intriguing. I agree with being able to work the clutch first. I have friends that think they are heresy period. But then I noticed everyone at the podium on the TKO had them. Setup wrong on a 125 they would be terrible. Setup right where you could get in the oowerband sounds interesting. I would love to try one.
  • Like 1