Riding Buddies/Places NOVA/Central VA

Hey all, looking for some riding buddies and new places for me and my 17 year old step-son who's pretty new to riding.  Places like Budds Creek and Tomahawk are about 1 1/2 hours from me but he needs something else more laid back to start learning.  Currently he's just riding around on our 2 acres and I don't want him to give up on the sport due to lack of variety or progress.  I was looking at joining CVTR but it's 2 hours each way which is a bit far for paying a yearly membership.  Wicomico is pretty good I think but also can get kinda crowded and is pricey at $45 a day.  Anyways just seeing if anyone had any other leads out there, thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

There was a riding club up there at some point. A lot of the vchss riders emanated from that area. I don't know if it still exist? 301 trail riders? norva? or something like that. smdr and mama are good organizations and they have been around a long time. Trail riding is tough. So is mx but the clutch control and rugged terrain of offroad/trail is tough for kids starting out.

IMG_5353.JPG

This has actually been rescheduled for this weekend May 7th. Good way to check out one of the club riding areas without paying to join.

WATR has some decent riding.  Wicomico is probably the easiest trails for the woods.  You didn't say if you were looking more for motorcross / track riding or woods riding.  Two very different types of focus.  Wicomico has probably the easiest woods trails around locally that I know of.  

Local riding areas:

Budds Creek

Tomahawk

WATR/301 - club

The Cove - West of Winchester off of RT50

Taskers Gap - Near Edinburg VA, off of I81

Those are the local areas I have experience with and under a 2 hour trip one way.  

Mud

13 hours ago, skeener2 said:

Taskers Gap - Near Edinburg VA, off of I81

I like the Peter's Mill, Taskers Gap trails. And you can get a day pass for under $10. But be warned, the trails are rocky. Some folks think they are too rocky. They are not easy trails for folks used to dirt and/or loam trails

• Like 1

Peter's Mill isn't as bad on the main trail for most of it.  My friends and I typically use it as a warmup.  It's across the road from the main parking area.

I like Taskers.  But yeah, you have to embrace the rocks and soften your compression.

Thanks guys for the responses, I've been aware of every place so far except for WATR at Eagle Bay.  It's also the closest although I missed the Spring ride so I may have to find a member to sponser me for a guest day to check it out.  I generally go to the cove for some family camping/shooting but I hate riding there, did it three times and kinda told myself never again, I can't imagine it being much fun unless you have e-start.  I've heard Taskers is slightly more forgiving with rocks than the cove but I've never been there.  I'll probably be taking my WR250R to Peter's Mill with some friends and make the determination if my step-son will be ok there, I'm assuming he'll be fine.

7 hours ago, skeener2 said:

Peter's Mill isn't as bad on the main trail for most of it.  My friends and I typically use it as a warmup.  It's across the road from the main parking area.

Yeah the main trail on Peter's Mill is much less challenging. The side trails there are challenging.