Dual Sport Bike Security?

1st, I know that if someone wants it badly enough, they'll probably get it. So, my question isn't how to PREVENT someone from stealing my bike, but how to motivate MOST thieves of opportunity to move on to something easier.

For parking while out dual sporting (not over night storage), what are you using and why? Want to lock up two bikes, but don't want to put 50lbs. of chain in a pack. ;) I have my ideas, but I'd like to read or see what you're using.

Where I ride, not worried about someone taking note of my regular behaviors. More about crimes of opportunity. My insurance says that my 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R is rated somewhat high for theft and I can see why... 'Spensive suckers!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

1st, I know that if someone wants it badly enough, they'll probably get it. So, my question isn't how to PREVENT someone from stealing my bike, but how to motivate MOST thieves of opportunity to move on to something easier.

For parking while out dual sporting (not over night storage), what are you using and why? Want to lock up two bikes, but don't want to put 50lbs. of chain in a pack. ;) I have my ideas, but I'd like to read or see what you're using.

Where I ride, not worried about someone taking note of my regular behaviors. More about crimes of opportunity. My insurance says that my 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R is rated somewhat high for theft and I can see why... 'Spensive suckers!

I'm not sure I understand the question, perhaps because I live and ride here and not there? :lol:

Seriously, if I park to take a hike or something it's likely remote enough that no one is likely to stumble across it and if they did they would have to ride it out. If I pull out for fuel or lunch I keep in in my sights.

Traveling cross country I use a disc lock an rely on being a light sleeper. (not done this with the 690)

7 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

I'm not sure I understand the question, perhaps because I live and ride here and not there? :lol:

Seriously, if I park to take a hike or something it's likely remote enough that no one is likely to stumble across it and if they did they would have to ride it out. If I pull out for fuel or lunch I keep in in my sights.

Traveling cross country I use a disc lock an rely on being a light sleeper. (not done this with the 690)

It's a dual sport. So, if I can ride it there, I do. Home Depot errand? What I need fits in a backpack? Let's ride! So, I will take it places that are not remote and where I can't keep it in eye all the time. Parking at a hole in the wall rural restaurant  where it's in sight, i don't lock it up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

It's a dual sport. So, if I can ride it there, I do. Home Depot errand? What I need fits in a backpack? Let's ride! So, I will take it places that are not remote and where I can't keep it in eye all the time. Parking at a hole in the wall rural restaurant  where it's in sight, i don't lock it up.

Yea, I use my bikes for errands too. Some years I put well over 10k on the bikes and 3-4k on the truck. :thumbsup:

The here not there comment referred to my perception theft risk is lesser here and doesn't require much security.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dirtyclods said:

2 padlocks. 1 in the front disc and one in the rear as tight as I can get them to the caliper. Gonna have to drag it or load it right there if they want it. I had a cable cut and my bike pushed away so I make sure they can't push it far now. With the battery powered grinders that are out they can wack thru a 1 inch thick cable or chain in 30 seconds. Make it impossible to roll and force them to have to cut 2 locks if they want it.........and I'll bet like you said, they move on to something easier.

+1 for the dual padlocks. Easy, quick, and light in the bag. 

• Like 1

If I am not carrying a backpack I put the padlock on my foot peg for transportation, but if you are going to do a lot of off-road that can be a problem as rocks take their toll on the padlock and it can cause your foot to come off of your pegs in wet slippery conditions. If I have a backpack then I pack a bicycle cable that is combination style no key needed then, unless I am doubling up with a padlock on the rotor as well.

• Like 1

I run quick errands on the Der too. I take the key and leave my helmet and back pack on the bars. I don't use any locks , I try to use some common sense . I look around and stay aware of my surroundings, I park close to the store and in the open, I don't go the hood to shop, and I get in and out of the store quickly.

• Like 2

I'm in downtown Chicago and use two caliper locks and the the claw from the club for motorcycles...easy to cart around and looks like it would be a pain to move. Haven't had an issue using it on two bikes

IMG_1311.PNG

If they want it ...they will take it but this thing looks good hanging off the tire.

With the tiger parked overnight at a hotel use disc lock for the rear and steering head lock on the front. Loaded the suckers over 500 pounds so they're going to have to be able to lift it if they want to get it quickly. It said for anything you can haul is just going to be a deterrent so have it insured and have fun.