how can i get more use out of old tires

i have stacks of old nobbies in my back yard...the thing is that there not too wore out the nobbies are just pretty rounded is there any way i could sharpen them back up

There used to be a tool that mechanics used to replace the edges on truck tires. Worked well, but I would have no idea where to find one. Might check with a tire dealer or installer.

Either what cj said or some time tires can be flipped around, the knife is probably better though

just use them and stop worrying. Unless you are a pro you won't even know they are rounded. 

• Like 2

I flip it once so I get the freash new edges twice, then I use a knobby knife till the knobs are about 1/8" narrower, then put it on my dual sport and run it bald.  Then use the carcass to burn stumps out or get wet burn piles going.   I feel I am getting everything I can out of the dirt bike rears.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, rharr said:

just use them and stop worrying. Unless you are a pro you won't even know they are rounded. 

Huhh??  I am just a C lass hare scrambles rider and I can tell a huge difference how the traction is on muddy hills, how low you can rail in corners, and how much hook-up you have accelerating.  I guess what I am saying is even if the OP is not pro, if he rides aggressive, he will notice big time when the edges are gone!

• Like 8

IMG_0261.PNG

If nothin else make urself a sweet helmet shelf lol

• Like 10

15 hours ago, rharr said:

15 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

Huhh??  I am just a C lass hare scrambles rider and I can tell a huge difference how the traction is on muddy hills, how low you can rail in corners, and how much hook-up you have accelerating.  I guess what I am saying is even if the OP is not pro, if he rides aggressive, he will notice big time when the edges are gone!

I don't even race, I'm just a casual trail rider who logs quite a few hours... I can def tell when the edges are rounded off, time for a new tire. Could I run it longer, of course. But theres something oddly satisfying about the bite of a fresh tire. I guess part of it will depend on what type of terrain you ride but on anything thats not super hard pack and rocky, I can feel exactly when that bite is gone and the knobs are rounded. Flipping the rear around is worth it if I don't have time for a long ride in the near future and i'm just going to be out for short goof around rides. Its not worth the effort to flip if I'm going on a long ride and it'll be trashed in a ride or two and i'll be back at it with the spoons shortly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SenorThumpy said:

I don't even race, I'm just a casual trail rider who logs quite a few hours... I can def tell when the edges are rounded off, time for a new tire. Could I run it longer, of course. But theres something oddly satisfying about the bite of a fresh tire. I guess part of it will depend on what type of terrain you ride but on anything thats not super hard pack and rocky, I can feel exactly when that bite is gone and the knobs are rounded. Flipping the rear around is worth it if I don't have time for a long ride in the near future and i'm just going to be out for short goof around rides. Its not worth the effort to flip if I'm going on a long ride and it'll be trashed in a ride or two and i'll be back at it with the spoons shortly. 

18 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

Aww come on now, I not saying use old rounded worn tires for a race, but if you are out weekend riding who cares if the edges are sharp. It's your money and you can buy new tires every other weekend if you want but it seems silly to me. New tires are nice but not necessary. The amount of time it takes to cut rounded kobbies into sharp edges could be better used riding and working on technique. 

Go watch some of the joeymac420 (Ryan Sandoval) videos on you tube, the guy is going over and climbing stuff and what ever other crazy crap he does on basically crappy bald tires. My point is tires don't define what you can and can't do, they just sometimes make it easier and lots of folks use them as a crutch. By all means buy new tires if you are going on a week long ride or have a race, but if you are just screwing around with friends, run those tires down a bit and get your moneys worth, you will be a better rider the more time you spend on the bike and the less you mess with changing tires or cutting edges. 

33 minutes ago, rharr said:

Aww come on now, I not saying use old rounded worn tires for a race, but if you are out weekend riding who cares if the edges are sharp. It's your money and you can buy new tires every other weekend if you want but it seems silly to me. New tires are nice but not necessary. The amount of time it takes to cut rounded kobbies into sharp edges could be better used riding and working on technique. 

Go watch some of the joeymac420 (Ryan Sandoval) videos on you tube, the guy is going over and climbing stuff and what ever other crazy crap he does on basically crappy bald tires. My point is tires don't define what you can and can't do, they just sometimes make it easier and lots of folks use them as a crutch. By all means buy new tires if you are going on a week long ride or have a race, but if you are just screwing around with friends, run those tires down a bit and get your moneys worth, you will be a better rider the more time you spend on the bike and the less you mess with changing tires or cutting edges. 

I don't really disagree with your point. Its just one of those things I like. Its like carrying around a razor sharp knife, do you need to? No, a decently sharp knife is all you need. Its just satisfying to know you basically have a scalpel in your pocket... idk maybe its just me. 

Old sandypants is an interesting example. He def does ride the most ragged out tires. However, the terrain he rides and most of the trials stuff he does don't really need a chunky knobbie for traction. Furthermore, guys got skills for days and as an accomplished trials rider he can probably find traction on street tires in the mud. I wonder what the tires on his normal bike look like, rather than the joey mac bike. I know he used it for a while in vids when the joey mac bike was down but I cant remember if they were decent or ragged out just the same.  

I def agree that fresh tires make some stuff easier and I'm not gonna lie, thats part of why I love fresh tires. 

1 hour ago, rharr said:

I think I got this figured out. You are from AZ and I am from IL.  You are mostly in sand and rocks? I am mostly in greasy mud.  I wonder if we switched places we could see each others view better.  

Here, if you dont have edges in greasy mud, you may as well be riding on ice and forget about following your buddies up steep hills.

2 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

I think I got this figured out. You are from AZ and I am from IL.  You are mostly in sand and rocks? I am mostly in greasy mud.  I wonder if we switched places we could see each others view better.  

Here, if you dont have edges in greasy mud, you may as well be riding on ice and forget about following your buddies up steep hills.

I expect you are right. Different conditions, different requirements.   That got to get expensive buying tires every month just to play in the mud.

I have the knobby knife. I get "worn out" used mx tires from an A class racing friend for free. I use the knobby knife to freshen them up and they're good for a long time for the trail riding I do. The hotter the knobby knife is, the better it works. Some tires can be a pain to do (404's come to mind...) and if you take too big of a bite, any tire is a pain to do. I keep a blowtorch close by for a little heat boost on the knobby knife (cuts down the waiting on the initial warm up too!) After I've determined that the knobs are worn too short (assuming the tire is still in good condition without too much chunking) I'll set it aside to be studded later. When I have enough studded tires (I have two bikes and my riding buddy has two bikes), then I'll probably start throwing them away at that point.

run a tire that lasts longer with some sacrifice to grip. That's what will give you the longest tire life