Jump to content

aftermarket exhaust (e.g. Akrapovic) justified over factory exhaust?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

possibly a dumb question but I need to hear your ideas/opinions/thoughts about this. I own a brand new 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F Six Days, and have been recently eyeing the Akrapovic exhaust. Checked their pricing and they're about EUR 500 for just the slip on. Now, in my eyes, the Six Days exhaust does not look like some cheap stuff, it does look it really means business. So my question is, is Akra slip on upgrade of Eur500 that much performance-justified over my factory's exhaust?

Thanks !

Geoff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my 17 500t needed a tps adjust and re-map to make a FMF Q4 slip-on work. the brute torque is substantial without a full pipe and right up there with a 300 2stroke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 100% sure what the stock setup is on Euro bikes, but I've got a the standard reed cage removal, re-map, desmog and exhaust screen removed and I can't see any real point to going to a new exhaust except for a deeper sound or bling factor.  Bike is plenty powerful enough to scare the S--T out of me now, no reason to make it worse.

If you are on the fence I would go looking for some dyno numbers before you throw down some money.  There is no shortage of "this product adds XX horsepower" but no data to back it up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of loud bikes, but every stock 500 exc. I've ridden sounds like a neutered trail bike that my wife could ride, so I'd get a slip on just for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, pomoco said:

I'm not a big fan of loud bikes, but every stock 500 exc. I've ridden sounds like a neutered trail bike that my wife could ride, so I'd get a slip on just for that!

Stock mufflers can be made to be just as loud as any aftermarket , with simple tools.  Remove the double noise screen, and then begin opening the inside cone, course this will defeat the spark arrestor, cutting into the cone.

At 550 hours , Im on my 3rd stock muffler (blown up disentigrated), and they are built better longevity wise than any aftermarket IMO.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for all the feedback ... much appreciated! 

although the low-grunted sound that an aftermarket makes is something that i crave for, this post is not for sound purposes but more on the performance-side. it looks like that it wan't a dumb question of mine then, seems that there are mixed opinions about going for an aftermarket exhaust (which in the Akra case is veeeery expensive) my bike is on euro offroad map, no smogging stuff in it, airbox thingy removed, exhaust screen removed. Still have to tackle the "mission-impossible" TPS adjustment (still swearing my guts out for this process) 

Not saying that I feel my bike underpowered.... far from it... but this aftermarket exhaust always was a dilemma for me especially when (to my eyes) the Six Days exhaust really looks like no-nonsense-stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Tue May 02 2017 at 10:04 AM, ragingspeed said:

thanks for all the feedback ... much appreciated! 

although the low-grunted sound that an aftermarket makes is something that i crave for, this post is not for sound purposes but more on the performance-side. it looks like that it wan't a dumb question of mine then, seems that there are mixed opinions about going for an aftermarket exhaust (which in the Akra case is veeeery expensive) my bike is on euro offroad map, no smogging stuff in it, airbox thingy removed, exhaust screen removed. Still have to tackle the "mission-impossible" TPS adjustment (still swearing my guts out for this process) 

Not saying that I feel my bike underpowered.... far from it... but this aftermarket exhaust always was a dilemma for me especially when (to my eyes) the Six Days exhaust really looks like no-nonsense-stuff 

There are other options than akrapovic. Arrow makes good pipes at reasonable prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 3:01 PM, Airboss/oc said:

my 17 500t needed a tps adjust and re-map to make a FMF Q4 slip-on work. the brute torque is substantial without a full pipe and right up there with a 300 2stroke

huh?    

 

what do you mean "right up there with a 300 2 stroke"?   It almost sounds as if you're saying that the 300 has more torque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly different bike being a 350exc-f, euro map no emissions crap. Went to an fmf 4.1 slip on. Found it to be much stronger in the mid range and up top. I also run it with the spark arrestor as I found it too loud without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Just_a_trail_rider said:

huh?    

 

what do you mean "right up there with a 300 2 stroke"?   It almost sounds as if you're saying that the 300 has more torque

well if you never had the privaledge of riding one then you wouldn't know. my '15 300 xcw has way more grunt at 5000rpm compared to my '17 exc at same rpm. if you want big slammin torque and never flame out then the 2 smoker is tops. my 500 has grunt but took a bit of tuning to get it to pop and it now has very quick smooth delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Airboss/oc said:

well if you never had the privaledge of riding one then you wouldn't know. my '15 300 xcw has way more grunt at 5000rpm compared to my '17 exc at same rpm. if you want big slammin torque and never flame out then the 2 smoker is tops. my 500 has grunt but took a bit of tuning to get it to pop and it now has very quick smooth delivery.

I actually own both a 300 and a 500.   Not 2017 models, but I know all about the 300.

No doubt the 300 can lug lower than the 500 without flaming out.     However, the torque of a 300 is almost non-existent when compare to a 500.  I would never use the word "slammin torque" to describe a 300.     I don't think the 300 has all that much torque.    Lugging and not stalling at low rpm is not the same as torque.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stock mufflers can be made to be just as loud as any aftermarket , with simple tools.  Remove the double noise screen, and then begin opening the inside cone, course this will defeat the spark arrestor, cutting into the cone.
At 550 hours , Im on my 3rd stock muffler (blown up disentigrated), and they are built better longevity wise than any aftermarket IMO.

Idk, I've had the same fmf shorty on my bike with thousands of hours... All I do is repack it once in a while , but that's still awesome!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×