03 CRF450R half dollar size dent in Swing arm

The other day I took a nasty spill on a heavily rocky trail and put a half-dollar size dent in my swing arm about 1/4 inch deep. My question is, Does this dent pose any threat to the integrity of the swing arm? would it have any impact on durability or performance when landing 8 to 9 foot jumps? Should I just replace the swing arm and be done with it or will it not have any affect on performance.

CRF450Rswingarm.jpg

I'd not worry about it. If in your travels you stumble on a used, good condition replacement for cheap, then sure, replace but I'd not loose sleep over it.

• Like 2

I'd not worry about it. If in your travels you stumble on a used, good condition replacement for cheap, then sure, replace but I'd not loose sleep over it.

Ueah, i see used ones in excellent condition on Ebay for around 100 to 130 bucks. Thanks for the reply sir.
  • Like 1

Just now, js450r said:

Ueah, i see used ones in excellent condition on Ebay for around 100 to 130 bucks. Thanks for the reply sir.

If spending the money makes you more confident, then replace it. I doubt the dent will affect anything. Though I'll admit, it would irk me as well and I'd look for a replacement, part of my OCD. ;)

• Like 1

I just remember marv doing something similar to a suzuki years ago.  Really bothered him,  finally he sprung for a used SA.  He was not about to change bearings,   even those the ones in the newly purchased SA were junk.  But he felt better that his bike had a dent free swingarm!!   I would probably be shopping too though.

• Like 1

Yep, its the fact that it has a dent that is eating away at my OCD. It taunts me. It must be replaced. I wonder if i can have it TIG welded and buffed.

you could do a weldup on it,  but that would have more repercussions than leaving it.  

you could do a weldup on it,  but that would have more repercussions than leaving it.  

What would happen and why, real question not making fun of you.

I just went ahead and bought a new swing arm with all the bearings and seals. Consequence or not my OCD wont allow me to live with the damaged swing arm. New one was 133 bucks. No big deal plus it will allow me to explore this component of the bikes anatomy. I want to thank everyone who replied to my question, you guys are awesome. Thank you.