Panning for gold(brass)

Just did an oil change and found a fair amount of brass flake in the bottom of the oil catch pan, should I be worried, where do you think its coming from and why?

If you have an XR600R  then yup.......prepare to crap your pants,,,the big end thrust washers are cutting loose and if you keep running it you will nuke the connecting rod...shortly after you see flakes the big end bearing flies to pieces..

Only place in these bikes that copper/brass is used and you would find it in oil is the thrust washers on the crank...

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianhare said:

If you have an XR600R  then yup.......prepare to crap your pants,,,the big end thrust washers are cutting loose and if you keep running it you will nuke the connecting rod...shortly after you see flakes the big end bearing flies to pieces..

Only place in these bikes that copper/brass is used and you would find it in oil is the thrust washers on the crank...

B

My bike is a 2000 xr650L, will that make for better news?

8 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Nope , same thing.

Does anyone have a diagram that shows the bushings, can I change the shit out of the oil so I can run the bike this season, why does this happen, the bike only has 15000 kms on it but has a new top end.

It's grinding itself apart right now , you'll only cause more damage. You've already got bits of brass all thru the motor , why add steel to it too ? 

4 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

It's grinding itself apart right now , you'll only cause more damage. You've already got bits of brass all thru the motor , why add steel to it too ? 

I hear what your saying but why is it happening, how does it happen, what has failed, what needs to be checked and replaced, its a low km motor and should have lots of life left.

Why did it need a new top end ? What was the damage at that time ? It was probably run low on oil , the top end goes first. At a minimum you need a crank pin , lower rod bearing , the thrust washers and probably the rod.

2 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Why did it need a new top end ? What was the damage at that time ? It was probably run low on oil , the top end goes first. At a minimum you need a crank pin , lower rod bearing , the thrust washers and probably the rod.

I had a bad wreck and it was running on its side for I dont know how long which fried the piston skirt. It has never ran low on oil since I have owned it.  This is really sad news.

this is weird.....Joe the XR650L does not have thrust washers on the big end as far as I know.......I`ve seen rebuild kits for the rod and no side thrust washers,,,the XR600R pictures of the rod kit show the washers..You can visually see the side washers on a XR600R crank and I`ve had a bunch of XRL cranks and could not see the washers..I`m almost positive the XR650L has no side thrust washers...unless the cage that separates the rollers is brass and it`s shagged.......

no where else except the oil tube banjo crush washers and the pollution tube crush seals ...is there copper/brass in these engines....

unless this engine was played with in a past life and is a XR600R or XL600R cross breed????????

B

I`ve sent cranks out for rebuild,but never had the kit in my hands to actually see......so it`s possible I`m wrong,,but I know you can`t go by the internet pictures as they are a generic picture of a crank kit and do not match the product...

B

16 minutes ago, brianhare said:

I knew I answered this before......:lol:

So if the L does not have thrust washers where is the brass dust coming from, I feel like shit over this and am just getting more confused, I am going to change the oil again and see what its showing compared to previous oil change, I have only gone for one ride since last change, bike is running great at the moment. If the lower end is pin bearings it should be able to handle a bit of low oil abuse from laying on its side. As everyone says the top goes first on the motors, I have no luck at all.

I'm waiting for an answer to whether the thrust washers  are indeed...positively not there on these cranks...and if the lower bearing cage may be brass...I'll let you know when i know...

B

Edited by brianhare

it can only be one thing......... the head. the rockers arms are eating the cam............. no thrush washer or main bearing, its all needle bearings down there. 

No BRONZE thrust washers or copper or brass used ANYWHERE in the XR650l engine.

The one and only explanation is the big end of the rod is coming apart. And even then I'm not sure of any BRONZE in there.

6 hours ago, whiteXR1 said:

it can only be one thing......... the head. the rockers arms are eating the cam............. no thrush washer or main bearing, its all needle bearings down there. 

NOT...

It's all steel up there.

• Like 1

Is the dust magnetic? Bronze/brass is not BTW. Maybe its a frankenmotor with XR600r crank/rod.

The XR650l has a different crank than the XR600. It has a longer snout on the left side to accept the starter one way gear.