Xl600r rebuild

Ok I am going to need some help on this one, I have a 1984 Honda xl600r I'm am going to do a rebuild for sure this is what I'm going to get so far: piston kit, or just rings which one should i do? Intake and exaust valves, do i need new seats or can i just put em in? Valve spring/seal kit, gasket kit maybe connecting rod kit and a cam chain and tensioner. So is this enough, too much or not enough and one more thing right now it runs rides and rides fine but on start up theres loud valve slap almost sounds like rod knock but its coming from the valves goes away after about 5 min of riding or idling on choke, is this normal or do I need an oil pump? Because you can hear it start to quiet down like the head starts getting oil and it sounds fine idk let me know because i wanna start the rebuild in June when summer break starts thanks, Jake

Pull your cylinder and have it measured before you order a piston. Most likely it'll need a bore job. Valve seats should be OK , but you'll want to lap the new  valves in. Measure your springs and valve guides , change the valve seals. See what your cam and rockers look like too. Along with cam chain and tensioner , make sure to get the pivot shaft for the tensioner. Order an oil pump for an XR650L , they've improved them a little over the years.

• Like 1

Your bike looks like a xr 600 with xl turn signals on  . I think most parts are the same but maybe check it out  . Here is a pic of my 83 xl  . I just rebuilt my motor top to bottom it also made some bad noises  . The bore was out of round at the bottom and the rod had some play. A rebore and some new parts and she sounds like new. IMG_20160209_205640.thumb.jpg.ce2af65b12fb357d3133e788ff6b6d39.jpg

@Joerc51 thanks for the info, im really not sure what lap the valves mean, this will be the first time i tear into an engine further than valves on a motocross bike so im a newb, do i absolutely have to get a new tensioner or no? And how would i know if the rockers are too worn to reuse and again thank you for the info i really appreciate it

Your bike looks like a xr 600 with xl turn signals on  . I think most parts are the same but maybe check it out  . Here is a pic of my 83 xl  . I just rebuilt my motor top to bottom it also made some bad noises  . The bore was out of round at the bottom and the rod had some play. A rebore and some new parts and she sounds like new. IMG_20160209_205640.thumb.jpg.ce2af65b12fb357d3133e788ff6b6d39.jpg

Yes i know it looks like an xr, it basically is it was was swapped by a dealer in 97 all thats xl is motor and frame everything else is 85 xr600r the motor and frame are 1984 xl

Pull your cylinder and have it measured before you order a piston. Most likely it'll need a bore job. Valve seats should be OK , but you'll want to lap the new  valves in. Measure your springs and valve guides , change the valve seals. See what your cam and rockers look like too. Along with cam chain and tensioner , make sure to get the pivot shaft for the tensioner. Order an oil pump for an XR650L , they've improved them a little over the years.

And also should i buy new or used xr650l oil pump and are there any specific years that would match up better or are all years universal

Yes i know it looks like an xr, it basically is it was was swapped by a dealer in 97 all thats xl is motor and frame everything else is 85 xr600r the motor and frame are 1984 xl

I'm gonna have to agree with carpenter, that pic sure looks like an xr, even the frame. Is the frame downtube round or square? XR's are square tube.
  • Like 1

Remote reaervoir, u mean the adjuster? IMG_3489.thumb.PNG.82f069ee18ec65fe1d22b96ea2b5b00e.PNG this?

Yes, the adjuster knob is mounted on the shock reservoir. Notice the part of the frame the reservoir is strapped too? Xl's don't have that piece of frame. Here's an Xl frame for comparison. The part circled in red has no bracket for a reservoir because as you can also see, the stock Xl shock does not have a remote reservoir. Also, the side plastic on an Xl mounts to the frame (circled in black) whereas yours has a zeus(sp) clip set into the air box as it is on XR's.20170503_190432.jpg Here is an XR frame for comparison. See how similar it is to yours? 20170503_184538.jpg Can you snap a better photo of the downtube? I'm wondering if someone swapped motor and frame tag from an Xl into an xr frame to make the xr street legal.

Yes, the adjuster knob is mounted on the shock reservoir. Notice the part of the frame the reservoir is strapped too? Xl's don't have that piece of frame. Here's an Xl frame for comparison. The part circled in red has no bracket for a reservoir because as you can also see, the stock Xl shock does not have a remote reservoir. Also, the side plastic on an Xl mounts to the frame (circled in black) whereas yours has a zeus(sp) clip set into the air box as it is on XR's.20170503_190432.jpg.879aa92a0a45979183f66b4673cdf6b3.jpg Here is an XR frame for comparison. See how similar it is to yours? 20170503_184538.jpg.2323af38a9cd2fb296ab40f3ab87859c.jpg Can you snap a better photo of the downtube? I'm wondering if someone swapped motor and frame tag from an Xl into an xr frame to make the xr street legal.

Here are some pics along with part of the tag IMG_3492.JPGIMG_3491.JPG