Which Cargo van for MX only?

What would be the most reliable cargo van for just going to the track?

I ride 40 times a year and the tracks are all one hour away.

I'd like to buy something used and cheap with the best MPG (diesel maybe).

I'm just not familiar with any of those to have an opinion on reliability.

Diesel economy is a lie. Grab a Chevy with the 5.3. Buying a used cargo van is just like a used bike, get as much info as you can.

• Like 2

I've had really good luck with the ram B2500 series with the 318. Things ride smooth and are cheap to get. Currently have a 1994 b 250 with 158 and I couldn't ask for a better vehicle to haul my bike in for 2800 dollars

• Like 1

I want a van because I find it more convenient than a pick-up.  I take my bike to the office once a week so I can head to the track after work. With a van, nobody knows what's in it and I can change in the van.

Since I will only be using it 40 times a year and only have to travel 50 miles every time, i don't need anything recent or comfortable. 

If I can find something below $3000, it would be fine.

I live and work in the city so I still want a small car for everyday use.

If I could afford it, I would buy a Sprinter or Transit but it's too much money for my needs. 

Really the only important thing is internal height. My suburban, for instance, is plenty wide and long enough to tote a bike, but the it's not tall enough on the inside. Most vehicles aren't.

I second the guy who said Dodge B2500-- I've owned one, it got reasonable mileage and seems like it might be tall enough. Similar competing vehicles, which honestly are better rated (I just haven't owned them) are the Ford Econoline and Chevy Express.

All 3 should fit your needs.

Chev 1500 Express I paid $6500 cad for this one with 134000km it has a 5.3 and worked really good, I built the wall and finished the back this winter51000524711__A7581FDF-5AEC-4F0E-97A2-98190164B926.JPG.0b86237b2b4e3b3870fd31a01fcdc6ae.JPGIMG_1152.thumb.JPG.89679198aa6ff34f867efd6fc40e55ea.JPG51000790222__BB77A571-B592-4700-93CD-5E9E3493578B.JPG.79dca66b043aacb1e02cb83ecb410a76.JPG

• Like 2

Chev 1500 Express I paid $6500 cad for this one with 134000km it has a 5.3 and worked really good, I built the wall and finished the back this winter51000524711__A7581FDF-5AEC-4F0E-97A2-98190164B926.JPG.0b86237b2b4e3b3870fd31a01fcdc6ae.JPGIMG_1152.thumb.JPG.89679198aa6ff34f867efd6fc40e55ea.JPG51000790222__BB77A571-B592-4700-93CD-5E9E3493578B.JPG.79dca66b043aacb1e02cb83ecb410a76.JPG

Love that van. Did you rip out the headliner or the floor section in the rear. I measured one of the passenger vans up but wasn't sure how the bikes would fit. If you did gut out the rear section, did you try it with the headliner and floor in? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Puddn421 said:

Love that van. Did you rip out the headliner or the floor section in the rear. I measured one of the passenger vans up but wasn't sure how the bikes would fit. If you did gut out the rear section, did you try it with the headliner and floor in? Thanks!

Yes we used it last summer with the carpet and the head liner in it, the bikes hit the headliner. you end up with alot more room if you remove both and the plastic interior panels. Also removed the rear heater/ac  

I got this (1989 Chev Van II) as my first van in 2009 for $500 cus I wanted to get a dirt bike and get into to dirt bike/camping and want my stuff self contained, dry, and if in a pinch a place sleep if I needed. Bought a bike in 2010 and have had MANY great trips in this and IMO holds way more stuff inside (2 bikes if I want) and on top than a pickup.

Anyway, I've gotten my $500 worth out of this many times over but recently JUST got pulled over and the cops gave me a 30 Day notice to replace the cracked wind shield (my cost is $300) and funny enough looked it over and never said anything else. Then I need a new exhaust and I've got some small oil leaks from the tranny and rear bearing seals so it was time to for some thing newer.

20150702_162813.jpg.78c31efa670ad011c9eb4f3673c26639.jpg20160629_182528.jpg.f39191aea3917cd1dbdc0212815c19d3.jpg20160629_182541.thumb.jpg.c420284e80e452b6f783b55e7c774b1e.jpg

I really use the van mostly for work so my boss said I'll find you a newer van and will put in $4K towards it. He was down in Vancouver on the weekend and texted me pics of this and we went down for a look today. Its a 2005 GMC Savana 2500 with about 250KMs on it and we got it all in for $5100 so I'm shooting him $1100 for it just drove it about 100KMS back to my house seems extremely solid so far BUT it is a 12 year old van.

IMG_1560.thumb.jpg.7f29b3d780726af360e3d3da8e61b32a.jpg

The 89 is going to the scrap yard in the next few days and its going to be a sad day BUT I'm in the process of getting the 05 Savana set up for may more adventures this summer and will post some picks of my progress cus I do have a huge tent I normally sleep in but I might insulate it and throw down some carpet cus it is nice to take the van to a party and crash inside if you don't want to drive home :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I'm interested in a van like this, love the convenience of it being closed in, but I'm wondering how it will hold up as an everyday get-me-to-work truck and basically everyday driver as opposed to a pickup truck. I work in a gravel quarry and the roads are a lil rough sometimes but I'm only driving in and out and going slow around the potholes, any opinions?
I am also close to Montreal

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I'll tell you as a auto tech the Chevy vans or truck with the 5.3 is the only way to go that is the best engine put in a "American truck" that's gas . 300.000 miles is almost a guarantee . They are not perfect as any gm the interior amenities etc are cheap and you may have to replace a window motor here and there but I know from experience they are a way better option than Dodge or Ford .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

I'll tell you as a auto tech the Chevy vans or truck with the 5.3 is the only way to go that is the best engine put in a "American truck" that's gas . 300.000 miles is almost a guarantee . They are not perfect as any gm the interior amenities etc are cheap and you may have to replace a window motor here and there but I know from experience they are a way better option than Dodge or Ford .  

Isnt the chassis the same as a pickup? So with some minor upgrades such as all terrain tires wouldn't it be ok on very light to mild off-road such as a quarry road which is smooth bedrock covered in dirt and dust and gravel with some not too bad potholes when it rains, as well as down the highway up to 1-2 hours to the tracks?

Isnt the chassis the same as a pickup? So wouldn't it be ok on very light to mild off-road such as a quarry road which is smooth bedrock covered in dirt and dust and gravel with some not too bad potholes when it rains?

Sure they can handle light gravel road situations fine they are steel framed like a truck yes . The only real downside is maintenance on them sometimes gets over looked because you have to pull the "dog house " to get to most of the engine but once you do some stuff is even easier to get to . Some guys I know hate working on vans .

Sure they can handle light gravel road situations fine they are steel framed like a truck yes . The only real downside is maintenance on them sometimes gets over looked because you have to pull the "dog house " to get to most of the engine but once you do some stuff is even easier to get to . Some guys I know hate working on vans .

Routine maintenance with the small engine compartment shouldn't be too much a problem for me as I currently own a 97 gmc sonoma which the van would replace, I think the discreetness and maneuverability of the van would be better than a full size truck and trailer. Also how would the fuel economy compare to a Silverado with the same motor.